OO gauge track & expansion joints?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
LesW

Re: OO gauge track & expansion joints?

Post by LesW »

My upcomming layout will have a continuous run on one side of around 34', so as I experienced track buckling on my last garage layout, that was a 20' run through a tunnel, I will definitely have gaps.
Further to this topic, I have been wondering about trying to modify some flexitrack so it has tapered sliding expansion joints, just like the real thing. I'm not sure how to proceed as yet, but it's in my mind to try. It will be DCC, so no worries about conectivity due to bus and droppers.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

LesW wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:21 pm My upcomming layout will have a continuous run on one side of around 34', so as I experienced track buckling on my last garage layout, that was a 20' run through a tunnel, I will definitely have gaps.
Further to this topic, I have been wondering about trying to modify some flexitrack so it has tapered sliding expansion joints, just like the real thing. I'm not sure how to proceed as yet, but it's in my mind to try. It will be DCC, so no worries about conectivity due to bus and droppers.
Look for a Peco SL-44 expansion joint. No long produced AFAIK but some may still be available?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
LesW

Post by LesW »

Thanks Flashbang.

That's exactly what was in my mind, they would be a perfect solution. I might just have a go at recreating one.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

centenary wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:14 pm
Well all the YT vids Ive seen from Pete Waterman's Making Tracks series, Charlie at Chadwick, Larry Puckett, the DCC guy, Richard at New Junction etc, etc show nearly everyone soldering fish plates to rails!
Sam's Trains ran his trainset in the bath, doesn't mean its a good idea.

Isn't the Peco SL-44 purely cosmetic ? I.e it doesn't actually actually as an expansion joint.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
centenary

Post by centenary »

stuartp wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:46 am
Well all the YT vids Ive seen from Pete Waterman's Making Tracks series, Charlie at Chadwick, Larry Puckett, the DCC guy, Richard at New Junction etc, etc show nearly everyone soldering fish plates to rails!
Sam's Trains ran his trainset in the bath, doesn't mean its a good idea.

Isn't the Peco SL-44 purely cosmetic ? I.e it doesn't actually actually as an expansion joint.
In the RC world, we used to run in brushed motors in a jar filled with water. This stopped the arcing on the commutator and better bedding in of the brushes.

Tend to agree about the cosmetic looking SL 44 though!
captrees

Post by captrees »

I haven't seen any of the above, or how they do it, but it strikes me that if you soldered the fishplates on to the track on one end only, that would allow for expansion. Perhaps put the fishplates on offset, and solder the short side? If that makes sense?