Baseboard Support Using 2 Workmates

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Martin1946

Baseboard Support Using 2 Workmates

Post by Martin1946 »

I am in the process of constructing an 8' x 4' (2400mm x 1200mm) Baseboard comprising 4 4' x 2' sections bolted together.
To support the baseboard I plan to use 2 Workmate type benches, which should be able to support up to 150kg.
I envisage attaching two 4' lengths of timber to the underside of the baseboard which will be held in place in the jaws of the Workmates.
This will enable me to level the baseboard both lengthways and width-ways. Once the levels have been achieved I can spread the load across the tops of the Workmates with either side timbers attached to the 4' lengths or perhaps with "cross-bolts"; I believe I can do this for less than £40.

Comments and advice welcome.
Bufferstop

Re: Baseboard Support Using 2 Workmates

Post by Bufferstop »

A pair of workmates would be quite an investment to tie up in supporting a baseboard. Folding work trestles are often used, If you wanted to make it semi permanent right angle brackets screwed to the top of the trestle and the side of the rails would allow for leveling adjustment,
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thanks for your quick response. I use the term "Workmate" as a generic description. I can buy similar ones from Amazon for example for less than £17 each, wooden trestles are no cheaper.

The advice and guidance in these Forums is proving most useful. :D
centenary

Post by centenary »

Martin1946 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:04 pm I am in the process of constructing an 8' x 4' (2400mm x 1200mm) Baseboard comprising 4 4' x 2' sections bolted together.
To support the baseboard I plan to use 2 Workmate type benches, which should be able to support up to 150kg.
I envisage attaching two 4' lengths of timber to the underside of the baseboard which will be held in place in the jaws of the Workmates.
This will enable me to level the baseboard both lengthways and width-ways. Once the levels have been achieved I can spread the load across the tops of the Workmates with either side timbers attached to the 4' lengths or perhaps with "cross-bolts"; I believe I can do this for less than £40.

Comments and advice welcome.
Why not just fit a couple of legs? You'd only need 6. 4 in each corner of one 4' by 2' section and just 2 on the end of the other 4' by 2' section. Couple of M8 bolts to join the halves together.

The way it sounds like you will do it might leave a saggy bit in the middle or ends where the trestles offer no support while what your really need is an even, level base and support.
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thankyou for your input. The 4 sections will be connected by a facial board and corresponding back board to protect the baseboard edges and this will also prevent sagging. The legs solution requires more work and given that my loft floor is not dead level, getting the baseboard level with legs may be possible but if I decide to re-locate the baseboard the legs will require modifying/ replacing.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Martin1946 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:32 pm Thankyou for your input. The 4 sections will be connected by a facial board and corresponding back board to protect the baseboard edges and this will also prevent sagging. The legs solution requires more work and given that my loft floor is not dead level, getting the baseboard level with legs may be possible but if I decide to re-locate the baseboard the legs will require modifying/ replacing.
If your loft floor isnt level, then your trestle idea will have problems and still not result in a level baseboard. Fitting adjustable feet to the legs is, imho, the best bet. That way, you'll have adjustment on each leg to ensure a perfectly level baseboard.I used adjustable feet on my baseboard legs for my garage layout as there was over a 2" drop from one end to the other.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Better to not construct an 8x4 layout! They are a poor use of the available space and there is almost always something better you can build. For example, arrange those same four boards into a 6x6 square with a hole in the middle for the operator. Or an L-shape along two walls. Considering the layout and space required to operate it, both will use less space overall and give a better potential layout.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Martin1946 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:38 pm .... I use the term "Workmate" as a generic description. I can buy similar ones from Amazon for example for less than £17 each...

If there is a floor levelling issue in your layout location, then an open frame construction has an advantage. The workmates only need to be stable on the floor, the beams or 'girders' they support can be adjusted to provide a consistent level from which to support the track base. Because the narrow plywood track base is very efficient, you can afford to use a high grade ply.

https://www.modelrailroadacademy.com/vi ... ds-010397/
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thank you for your suggestions :)