How to actuate the points using extension rod

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
MarkOg

How to actuate the points using extension rod

Post by MarkOg »

Gents

I have a small section of elevated track on which sits a set of PECO 75 large radius points. All other similar points on the layout lie flat on the baseboard and are actuated by SEEP PM1 point motors with the built in microswitch wired into the frog as belt and braces for electrical conductivity over the points for the loco.

I would like to do similar for the elevated points, and to that end, I have glued an extension rod to the drive rod using a small brass sleeve - as found on Fleabay. The rod now protrudes through the points' tiebar, but despite much fiddling about with the motor position underneath, the points will only switch one way, and even then with some difficulty. The main issue I think is the rod is too long and there is too much end play at the tie bar.

Any suggestions to improve matters would be very welcome, and whilst I could possibly use a surface point motor, I would like to avoid it if I can as space is restricted by the track.
Bigmet

Re: How to actuate the points using extension rod

Post by Bigmet »

I have no experience of doing this. Options:
Slow motion point motor, either driving the point with a rod and crank system, or by wire in tube, to get the movement from a concealed motor to the point location. Some engineering required.
Servo motor, some of which are small enough that they might be concealed in the elevated track support.
HO system points with built in motors - unlikely to match to code 75.

There was at one time a hydraulic point actuator system available. That might well be a good method, but now wholly DIY.
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

I seem to have sorted it - thanks for the advice anyways. I cut away directly under the track and made a sort of mini coffee table support from ply. Into the "table" top I drilled a 10mm hole for the rod, and underneath screwed in place the PM1. I cut the rod down, and managed to slide it under the track and tiebar so the rod was aligned with the hole in the tie bar. I then raised the table with another piece of ply under the legs, which then engaged the rod with the tiebar hole.

I think with the extension rod there is far too much end play with a PM1 for the motor to actuate the points.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

A solution is a solution!
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

Yes indeed. Bit disappointed with the outcome of the extension rod to the PM1. I can't see how it would work given the amount of end play. I tried it, but all the motor/solenoid did was flex the rod without actuating the points. Far too much play - as essentially the rod is not held firm enough in the sliding bar of the solenoid.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

MarkOg wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:35 pm Yes indeed. Bit disappointed with the outcome of the extension rod to the PM1. I can't see how it would work given the amount of end play. I tried it, but all the motor/solenoid did was flex the rod without actuating the points. Far too much play - as essentially the rod is not held firm enough in the sliding bar of the solenoid.
That's part of the reason I adopted slow motion point motors, as they offer more travel and more direct linkage to the tiebar. And that's before the killer advantage of a double ended slow motion type, it will drive a pair of points arranged in crossover formation that must always operate together. Better movement for less money than a pair of solenoids, if prepared to build a couple of rod mechanisms to couple to two tiebars.