Minories Layout: Trap points

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
pete12345

Minories Layout: Trap points

Post by pete12345 »

My layout is based around a slightly modified Minories terminus. I've added a loop from the incoming line directly into the third platform, and extended the loco spur into a short fourth platform:
One thing I hadn't considered until now is the correct positioning of trap points. I think I need one from the loco spur/platform 4 to prevent moves onto the outbound line. But do I need any more? I was thinking potentially another might be needed in the platform 3 loop (adjacent to Thomas) to protect the inbound main line. Platform 3 itself is protected by the kickback siding.
Bufferstop

Re: Minories Layout: Trap points

Post by Bufferstop »

Whatever the rules say one wouldn't look wrong, but you could always put in a point and create a loco spur. If you do put in a trap point be sure it deflects to the right, ie away from the running lines.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The kickback siding needs a trap point to prevent incorrect movement onto the 3 way* point.

It would be helpful to understanding if platforms locations were indicated.

*And a suggestion, hurl the 3 way point into the outer darkness, it's a no-good space saver for facing direction operation. There's room enough to have a LH then RH point which will work reliably.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I was thinking to ditch the 3-way anyway as it isn't that reliable and the polarity switching can be problematic. A left-hand followed by a large Y off to the siding would give the best angles.

The platforms are 4 furthest left, 1, 2, 3. So then, we need:
-- Left-hand trap exiting platform 4.
-- Right-hand trap exiting the loop to the inbound line, or a normal point to a loco spur/brake van siding. A siding could be modelled as overgrown, semi-derelict and used mostly as a trap. But it would then shorten the run-round loop if worked with the far point; local trains would likely have to propel onto the running line and run the loco round in the loop rather than the other way round.
-- Left-hand trap exiting the kickback siding to platform 3.