MegaPoints Controllers - System 2

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
centenary

MegaPoints Controllers - System 2

Post by centenary »

Been flip flopping over which system to use, MegaPoints Controllers or DCC Concepts, to control points and signals etc. While I use DCC, Im not into controlling points etc from the handset for various reasons and wanted this to be independent of running trains.

The DCC Concepts methodology seems to be biased towards complete DCC control. The price of 24 IP Digitals is eye watering. This made the decision of using DCC Concepts products to control points etc a virtual non starter.

Although you can go analog with their IP Analogues, overall the DCC Concepts methodology seems to be one of easing you to fully integrate DCC control into your layout. Nothing wrong with that but DCC Concept boards and add ons do tend to be expensive.

Despite this, I was kind of leaning towards DCC Concepts for analogue control of points etc. While this would mean more wiring, the IPAs include frog polarity switching as standard. Conversely, Megapoints is, imho, more compatible with DCC or analog control of points, signals and across their range etc. Via their now 'Classic' range, frog polarity control does require additional components which, when added up tends to negate the price differential between IPAs and MPC's use of low cost small RC servos.

Recently, MPC have started to introduced their 'System 2' range. https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk/sys ... cba1185463

This makes use of a wired or wireless protocol (your choice out of the box) to control servos and signals etc. Watching Dave's video presentations, it also has what I consider to be very easy configurability and free 'over the air' updates. It seems better to me than DCC Concepts ESP which also uses wifi but is less configuarable and yes, very expensive per ESP board for what it is imho.

At the moment, MPC's board to control IPAs isnt scheduled to be available until the middle of this year at the earliest. Depending on the boards fucntion, the IPAs ability to control frog polarity and price, System 2 has suddenly started to look like my preferred option.

Ive no connection with either company but is anyone here an early adopter of System 2? If so, what are your thoughts and how are you getting along with it?
5thgroup

Re: MegaPoints Controllers - System 2

Post by 5thgroup »

I have just arrived from the 1960's into a strange new land, so bear with me! I encountered the Megapoints system early enough to begin using it on my new railway, and after a couple of false starts, (and humbling help from Dave) I now have a fiddle yard with 22 Cobalt ANALOGUE points controlled from across the room with my System 2, with 99% success from the start. The 1% was due to a loose cable end with both wires touching.

Being a single operator without another modeler within 25 miles, I wanted a yard control system from a panel, not a handheld controller. Imagine trying to line out four or more points from a handheld punching in the various numbers and commands while a train approaches the yard! Now I can set my routes nearly instantly - and see the results on the panel with one hand.

Right now I am powering the track with DC to allow easy error detection without the DCC (seemingly) complexities, with my DCC system still in the box, but I know I can trade out with fewer complications. I do have each track in the fiddle yard isolated with spst switches so I can run multiples locos, and at DCC changeover, can park twelve to fifteen trains and turn off their various "vampire" power demands, say, lighting for an example.

[Does anybody remember the dreadful rubber band drives in the Athearn diesels in the early 60's? Small rubber bands ran around the motor shaft to the drive wheels, and as they failed, one had to dissemble the entire loco to change to the replacements.]
Flashbang

Re: MegaPoints Controllers - System 2

Post by Flashbang »

An alternative suggestion and a much cheaper option, assuming that components can be soldered to PCBs, is to join MERG and use CANBUS (CBUS as Its usually called).
Modules are around £19 to £23 each and operate up to 8 Servos or a different module can operate up to 4 solenoid motors. Some servo modules also have 8 input channels for taking commands back to the main panel - LED point position indications, or to other modules e.g.- Signal controls etc. It can if wished, be interfaced with MERG DCC but that's not essential. Works with a regulated 12volt DC supply and a pair of small sized twisted pair of wires.= 4 wires in all. CAT 5 or 6 cable can also be used if wished.

Currently no WiFi operation, but I believe that's in development?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.