Baseboard budgets

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
PeterLangtoft

Baseboard budgets

Post by PeterLangtoft »

Hi,

Trying to work out the most cost-effective way of putting a baseboard together, 1 board 6ft by 2ft, 1 board 4ft by 2ft. Though shopping around the costs (in the UK) for a 9mm plywood top, and PSE support/legs is looking quite steep. What should I expect to be paying for parts for this in your experiences? Had very good intentions but swiftly put off by costs.

Thanks
centenary

Re: Baseboard budgets

Post by centenary »

PeterLangtoft wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 pm Hi,

Trying to work out the most cost-effective way of putting a baseboard together, 1 board 6ft by 2ft, 1 board 4ft by 2ft. Though shopping around the costs (in the UK) for a 9mm plywood top, and PSE support/legs is looking quite steep. What should I expect to be paying for parts for this in your experiences? Had very good intentions but swiftly put off by costs.

Thanks
Presumably you've shopped around at smaller, local DIY shops? I found my local DIY store very reasonable and delivery was only £3.95.

Unfortunately I cannot give you the exact price I paid because the receipt has been thrown away. I started building earlier this year in the integral garage. The layout is approx 5m x 2.6m.

I ordered 8 x 4.2m, 75mm x 20mm planned wood for frames plus 6 x 4.8m, 50mm x 50mm planned wood for legs, total cost as far as I can remember was a couple of quid under £150. I made a mistake reordering the same quantities to finish off the build and now have 2 x 4.8m 50mm x 50mm and 4 x 4.2m pieces (what was I thinking?!) left over!

Ive since ordered 5 x 2.4m x 1.2m, 12mm exterior grade plywood sheets, cut to size by the same shop. I think these came to about £167.

Yes, my wood and sheet came in under £500 but Ive got quite a bit left over that Ive got to find projects for!
PeterLangtoft

Post by PeterLangtoft »

centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Presumably you've shopped around at smaller, local DIY shops? I found my local DIY store very reasonable and delivery was only £3.95.

Unfortunately I cannot give you the exact price I paid because the receipt has been thrown away. I started building earlier this year in the integral garage. The layout is approx 5m x 2.6m.

I ordered 8 x 4.2m, 75mm x 20mm planned wood for frames plus 6 x 4.8m, 50mm x 50mm planned wood for legs, total cost as far as I can remember was a couple of quid under £150. I made a mistake reordering the same quantities to finish off the build and now have 2 x 4.8m 50mm x 50mm and 4 x 4.2m pieces (what was I thinking?!) left over!

Ive since ordered 5 x 2.4m x 1.2m, 12mm exterior grade plywood sheets, cut to size by the same shop. I think these came to about £167.

Yes, my wood and sheet came in under £500 but Ive got quite a bit left over that Ive got to find projects for!
thanks, though that probably just confirms it's something I can't stretch to currently for all the wood.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

As Einstein said M = and all that,
With railways it's a balance of C+S+T =
If he cost is too much reduce the S until the C becomes viable.
At least you don't have a problem with S
Cost;Space;Time;

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

PeterLangtoft wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 pm 1 board 6ft by 2ft, 1 board 4ft by 2ft.
Surely, this can be cut from one single sheet of 8x4 methinks, with some left over too. :idea: :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
centenary

Post by centenary »

PeterLangtoft wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:30 pm
centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:16 pm

thanks, though that probably just confirms it's something I can't stretch to currently for all the wood.
Bear in mind the price I mentioned was for the wood to build baseboards for a 5m x 2.6m layout. If you only need two relatively small baseboards, 6 ft by 2 ft and 4 ft by 2 ft, the amount of wood you need and therefore cost, is considerably less.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Could make an open framed type layout using reclaimed offices of wood?
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

An 8'x4' sheet of 9mm ply will cost you £27 at B&Q and you will get both boards out of that with another 6'x2' board to spare. They also do a 6x4 sheet for £19.97 which will also do both boards.

Buying separate 4'x2' sheets to build a 4x2 board (1 sheet) and a 6x2 board (1 1/2 sheets) will cost you over 40 quid. It's worth finding a timber merchant who will cut to size (can't recall if the larger B&Q stores still cut to size).

I've used 18mmx44mm PSE for frames this time around but thinner and deeper works too if you can find that cheaper - 12mm x 75mm for example.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/