First ever layout- which option should I go for?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Mysticpuzzle

First ever layout- which option should I go for?

Post by Mysticpuzzle »

Hi All,

First ever post here. After lurking for some time, thought would start with my first layout. I have zero experience and am doing it as a project with my son.

I was thinking of going for a 8X4 layout but have received feedback that I am better off thinking alternatives. Mainly as 8X4 can be heavy, needs lot of space etc. I do like the idea of a point to point layout as it is more interesting.

Below are the variables I have. How would you recommend I approach and start with my first layout?

Space I have (see attached photos):

I currently rent following divorce so the layout cannot be permanent. Maybe once I move into a long term house
The dining room (pic 1) can be converted into a full time model space.
Pic 2 has a nice space with a platform which is ideal but I doubt if trains can go round in such a tight space
Pic 3 again has a nice space and the advantage of keeping my dining space

Expectations from the layout:
Minimum 3 trains (2 passenger and probably 1 goods). Two passengers if three is not possible at all.
2 - 3 stations (must have)
Points (must have)
Road(s) for model cars, busses etc. (must have)
A tunnel (must have)
Double level crossing (must have)
Shed (good to have)
Turntable (good to have if space is available)
No gradients
No 1st curves (?)

Current rolling stock:

GWR HST
Eurostar HST
Blue Highlander
Flying Scotsman

Am I aiming high here or is something possible in the given space? If yes, which option (space) would be best? And any help with the layout?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Richard08

Re: First ever layout- which option should I go for?

Post by Richard08 »

Welcome to a world of confusion that is model railways. First off - yes avoid 1st radius curves, most models of large engines are made for a minimum 2nd radius. I would suggest having a google for "model railway track plans" which turns up quite a lot of results; one such is https://freetrackplans.com/index.html. These will give you an idea of what will fit in a given space (it's always depressingly less than you think), and an idea of what constitutes a good/practical layout. Anyrail is good software for making track plans (free restricted version downloadable) to try ideas out with. It's difficult to say more really until you have decided where it's going to go. Oh, remember access, avoid having areas you cannot reach without flattening the scenery. Happy modelling!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi Mysticpuzzle and welcome aboard. :)

Just my amateur tuppence worth..
Are you sure you want an end to end layout (point to point)?
Despite my name after laying my end to end track down I got bored of it after about 10 minutes, having to keep hands on constantly so as not to hit the buffers and not just be able to watch the trains go round.

I won't comment on the space available. I'll leave that to far more experienced members, suffice to say, you don't really want direct sunlight hitting your layout. It will no doubt cause some sort of damage.

Have you considered modular baseboards?
If the track matches up in the same place on different boards you could possibly even switch them around. :idea:

Your current rolling stock is quite long. Have you measured the length of platforms you would need at each end / at each station?
This might help when considering the space you have.
My layout is roughly 11x8 feet with one station and 2 platforms.
Albeit passengers can alight on BOTH sides of one of my platforms, as one side of is for the dead-end branch line terminus platform that comes off the main line, so there's actually 3 tracks in my station.

If possible use "live" / "Electrofrog" points.
I'm having to sell a couple of small loco's because they just don't like dead frog points. :(

Richard has already mentioned AnyRail ( https://www.anyrail.com/en ) for computer layout design and there is also Scarm. ( https://www.scarm.info/index.php )
Both are easy to pick up and simple to use.

Hope that lot makes some resemblance of sense. :?: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
centenary

Post by centenary »

I think the OP may have to lower their expectations (hopes!?) given the space restrictions and layout type.

For a point to point layout, I presume the OP means an end to end layout rather than a round the room type? Getting 2 or 3 stations in a relatively small space will be challenging if not make the layout look crowded. Unless of course the OP means 1 station with 2 or 3 platforms ?

Id drop the idea of 2 or 3 stations and consider 1 would be enough especially as HSTs are going to be the order of the day. If it's going to be an E2E style layout then 3rd and 4th radius curves (or better) should be doable. I wouldnt bother with a tunnel either given the space restrictions. I dont think it would look right so would suggest a road bridge of some sort of alternative instead.

Make sure the baseboards are straight and level and that you can reach in the corners in case of derailments. Also, may be build the boards in a modular fashion so you can take them down and reinstall in another property if needed. Id say 12mm plywood for bases, dont use sundeala.

If it's a simple layout, DC could be suitable for control although I much prefer DCC myself. End of the day though, it's the OP's layout but hope some of these thoughts are helpful.