Can Marklin HO trains run on Lionel 3-rail HO track?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
boatsman

Can Marklin HO trains run on Lionel 3-rail HO track?

Post by boatsman »

Is it possible to run Marklin HO trains on 3-rail Lionel HO track? I thought of using Peco OO flexitrack with centre pins added and then I found someone going to the US who could bring me back Lionel 3-rail HO track.
Bigmet

Re: Can Marklin HO trains run on Lionel 3-rail HO track?

Post by Bigmet »

No problems with the gauge, it's all about the height of the Lionel supply rail vs. whatever Marklin specify for their 'stud contact' system; and possibly materials compatibility. Unless you luck into someone here with experience of this combination, you might do best to ask UK HO dealers (https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/ is a good resource) and search American HO forum sites.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I have been crresponding with U.S. railroaders regarding the question.

The answer I received is ----

What I believe the question refers to is that, in the late 1930s, Lionel created a line of OO scale trains that mirrored their then-new scale O equipment - Hudson steam locomotive, several freight cars, and caboose. Lionel made two versions, one for two-rail DC and another for three-rail AC, and made track in each version too.

The Lionel OO track (both two and three rail) was gauged to be correct gauge width for OO (unlike British OO which uses HO track but 4mm to the foot linear scale) so the track gauge was wider than HO track, so they are not compatible with each other.

Lionel ceased all train production during WW2, and the OO line was never started up again. Lionel made several later attempts at HO scale products, but all of those were 2-rail DC.

Hope that helps.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

I just had a poke round on Lionel's US web site - as far as I can tell (it's the worst web site ever) they don't do 3-rail HO (currently?) so the point may be moot. Conversion of Marklin engines from 3 to 2-rail is non-trivial (unless there's a Trix version to pinch chassis from).
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

From the USA. Some of you might be familiar with the NMRA US track, wheels, etc gauge. Very useful tool. There is (was) and NMRA OO gauge tool. It is for the long-deceased Lionel OO system -- not current UK OO standards. If you search OO scale on American Ebay, you'll discover a mix of current UK OO and, for collectors, some of the ancient Lionel (and others) OO engines and rolling stock.

As for Marklin, use Marklin track designed for their AC system. TRIX Express three-rail is for Trix DC equipment.

George
North Carolina