NER O /LNER & BR G5 0-4-4T from TMC/Bachmann

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

NER O /LNER & BR G5 0-4-4T from TMC/Bachmann

Post by Bigmet »

Bachmann have made a very good job of this model, commissioned by TMC.

The arrangement of the mechanism, ballast and other components follows the pattern first seen in their Midland 1P 0-4-4T, and has resulted in a second 0-4-4T model that has reliable traction which can perform on gradients. Weight is concentrated forward over the coupled wheels, and lighter items such as the coreless motor and decoder socket are accomodated to the rear of the coupled wheelbase. The complete model will stand on its coupled wheels, with the bogie dangling. The bogie is lightly sprung so that the loco is very steady when running on the rails, and the weight distribution makes it good to pull any realistic load.

My example was quiet and smooth running sas received, capable of a dead slow crawl in both directions on DC. All wheels pick up, and the wiring is neatly arranged out of sight, the body is easily removed for decoder socket access. All very pleasing, and running performance will likely only improve once set up with a decoder; I will use a Zimo MX618 and that will enable the rather bright firebox LED to be turned down (anyone annoyed by this in DC operation can fix it by disconnecting one of the LED feeds).

The exterior appearance is right in my opinion, but I only have photos for comparison as I have never seen the prototype, likewise the leading dimensions match quoted figures; applied detail, paint (BR lined black) all very neat and tidy. It may prove to be a bit of a fight to get inside the cab to tone down the 'current fashion' for a cream interior, is the most significant criticism I have.

In short, this is how RTR (OO) should be, looks and works well straight out of the box.
Richard08

Re: NER O /LNER & BR G5 0-4-4T from TMC/Bachmann

Post by Richard08 »

Isn't there a gap between the two different size halves of the boiler? Having looked at prototype pictures it seems very pronounced?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lost me there Richard!

Anyhoo, now decoder fitted and set for coreless motor operation, it runs exceedingly sweetly. Yet better, because of the thought given to mechanism layout and weight distribution the traction is very good, and that includes gradients which typically significantly limit 0-4-4T haulage powers. But as Bachmann have now demonstrated on their MR 1P and this model, good technique overcomes this past limitation. (It would also work on the 0-4-2 wheel arrangement, so if the Railway Museum ever want to add a Stroudley 'Gladstone' to their range - with the legendary haulage power available - the way is open ...)

Very good, and I shall allow it occasional visits from the GE section where a few were at one time allocated, as the GN section Hertford, Luton and Dunstable branches could have well used a loco like this.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bigmet wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:11 am Lost me there Richard!

The two halves of the boiler, front plastic, back metal, are of different diameters and the join isn't that good. Maybe not so obvious on black liveries, but once seen it can't be unseen in the NER green livery. Also, the dome is a different colour and has a huge gap round it. Fine on a £100 model maybe, but on a £200 one? A real shame, as the rest of it is really very nice.
G5.png
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard08 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:51 am ...The two halves of the boiler, front plastic, back metal, are of different diameters and the join isn't that good. Maybe not so obvious on black liveries, but once seen it can't be unseen in the NER green livery. Also, the dome is a different colour and has a huge gap round it. Fine on a £100 model maybe, but on a £200 one? A real shame, as the rest of it is really very nice...
Ah, thank you, that explains everything.

The version I have is clearly of different tooling, representing the boiler replacements from the LNER period onward, which significantly shifted the dome rearwards. On this version the model's metal casting of the smokebox and boiler extends backwards to the boiler band rear of the dome, and there is no diameter mismatch at the joint to the plastic moulding of the boiler which extends to the cab spectacle plate, and the dome fits 'perfectly' as it should.

If the 'original versions' with the dome forward are all alike with these poor fits, that is a real shame.

A quick scan of the TMC site pics shows which versions are which, simply by dome position.
https://www.themodelcentre.com/rail/oo-gauge?cat=689
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Modified this model now, to stop the bunker end swinging out. Bachmann have given the model the freedom needed for set track, but not requiring this my model now has the bogie pivotting action on the bogie pivot alone. This restricts the model to a 30" minimum radius, fine for my layout and the better appearance on curves only adds to its charms.

Having had some running time it's comfortable hauling loads well beyond what it did in service, 50 wagons or a dozen coaches on level track; and it doesn't lose traction drastically on gradients, the usual failing of model 0-4-4T which are typically bunker end heavy.