Peco Single Slip, 2 point motors needed?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
centenary

Peco Single Slip, 2 point motors needed?

Post by centenary »

Im intending using a number of Peco single slips on the layout be they electro frog or unifrog.

I was under the impression a single slip only uses 1 point motor, what with it being a single slip and all, but, looking at pictures of a Peco SLE180 or the Unifrog version SLU1180 new in packaging, both appear to have 2 tie bars.

I thought that Rails may have substituted a double slip for a picture of a single slip but, looking at pictures of a still in package singleslip clearly shows the two tie bars, one at each end.

Does that mean a single slip needs 2 points motors to control it?!
RFS

Re: Peco Single Slip, 2 point motors needed?

Post by RFS »

Yes. There are two pairs of blades hence 2 motors required.
Robert Smith
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There will certainly be two tie bars as both ends of the "avoiding line" need to be switched in. It might be possible to link them mechanically to one motor or control two motors with a single switch. You could create the same route possibilities with a crossing, one left and one right hand point, which would be controlled in exactly the same way. Must admit I hadn't thought about it before.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Yes you need 2 point motors.
Think of it as compact version of two points .... In my time I've had 3 doubles,& one single.

Geoff T.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Hmmmm, thanks for the answers. We are definitely talking single switch here so 2 point motors required?

Must admit, I (mistakenly it seems) thought a single switch would be one point motor not 2 because it only switches one track \ way.

If that's the case (2 point motors per single switch), it means Ive well exceeded my limit of 24 IPA motors as the layout plan has 5 single switches which would equal 10 IPAs for them alone.

I'll have to redesign the layout plan to remove them to a minimum and, replace those that are needed with double switches.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:45 pm ...I'll have to redesign the layout plan to remove them to a minimum and, replace those that are needed with double switches.
The single slip is solely a physical space saver, doesn't help reduce the number of motors required for full functionality; and likewise with the double slip, also requires two independent motors for full functionality.

There is a dodge available for a single slip which enables it to have a motor only at the facing end, because movement over it will only be in one direction. No RTR product offers this, so it's a build it yourself piece of pointwork...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You could operate both tie bars from one motor with a mechanical linkage, but you would really need something like a tortoise to be sure of switching both every time. Excuse the rough sketch it's a darned sight faster than doing it in CAD
slip.png
slip.png (48.03 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

It needs to be controlled by two motors as the frog switching is different for each of the through routes.
Treat it as a double slip.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
centenary

Post by centenary »

Thanks all. Looks like it's a re design of parts of the layout to lose a couple or 3 single slips or, extra expense of additional IPAs!
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

You can try to replace the slip with points, but you'll probably find that won't reduce the number of motor required overall.
Free_at_last wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:16 pm
It needs to be controlled by two motors as the frog switching is different for each of the through routes.
Treat it as a double slip.
I switched mine using a pair of DPDT relays- one pole switching the motor, the other switching the polarity. If wired so the "off" position of the relays is towards the curved route, you can use a three-position on-off-on switch to select one cross route, the other cross route, or the curved route. That way the polarity works out for every route and avoids you trying to select the "forbidden" route.