First layout in 18 years

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Jhs75029

First layout in 18 years

Post by Jhs75029 »

Hi Guys

I have recently been given a front bedroom in which to have for the purpose to build a layout

The room is 7ft by 7ft

I have attached a plan that I have made in anyrail6 with measurements listed in cm and each square is 10cm2

What do people think? Anyone able to critique or offer an alternatives?
I find that once I have designed something a certain way I struggle to see it any other way

plan1.JPG
Thanks
Jack
Richard08

Re: First layout in 18 years

Post by Richard08 »

Just my 2p, but isn't the fiddle yard a bit awkwardly placed? Not that I have an alternative to offer!
Jhs75029

Post by Jhs75029 »

Yes I agree. I just felt the I needed somewhere to run my trains out of sight. I wish I had a extra 4 foot at the end :lol:
centenary

Post by centenary »

Jhs75029 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:04 pm Hi Guys

I have recently been given a front bedroom in which to have for the purpose to build a layout

The room is 7ft by 7ft

I have attached a plan that I have made in anyrail6 with measurements listed in cm and each square is 10cm2

What do people think? Anyone able to critique or offer an alternatives?
I find that once I have designed something a certain way I struggle to see it any other way

plan1.JPG

Thanks
Jack
Id try the following: Have what is now the fiddle yard your hidden main lines. Have a Peco curved point as the trains come out of the hidden section so you can have a train standing in either side of the platform. Use a streamline curved point not a set track one for this.

The platform will need to be more slightly to the right to get a line in on the left. Make what are currently your sidings into your fiddle yard and add a couple more short lengths of track around the turntable.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

The basic plan looks sound, though I think the loco facilities seem a bit much for a layout this size. Turntables are expensive equipment for a railway to install and maintain, and there's little need for more than two locos to be here at once. What I would do is put a single-road shed where the turntable currently is, and have a wooden coaling stage in front of it. A loco coal wagon can be sent down the shed road, and a small crane or men with shovels empty it onto the coaling stage. You just need to ensure the headshunt is long enough for a loco and a coal wagon to get in. A water tower somewhere nearby, and you're done.

Use the two former engine shed roads for a coal siding and a 'spare' siding in which to store goods wagons and brake vans out of the way. You can then shunt the yard by having the arriving loco first move the brake van to the spare siding, then clear any wagons in the yard and assemble an outbound train. The yard is then free to shunt the inbound wagons to their destinations.

The area in front of the fiddle yard is ideal for development as an industry. A tall, low-relief factory building of some sort, with a loading dock or two by the longer siding. You have the basis there of an Inglenook Sidings puzzle which is a layout in its own right! Outgoing wagons can be moved to the runround loop and from there to your spare siding in the yard.
End2end

Post by End2end »

pete12345 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:17 am You have the basis there of an Inglenook Sidings puzzle which is a layout in its own right! Outgoing wagons can be moved to the runround loop and from there to your spare siding in the yard.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Although moving the engine shed to the sidings area.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread