EFE Class 58

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
inoffapost

EFE Class 58

Post by inoffapost »

I've been interested in acquiring a class 58 for some time and the in EWS livery it always looked especially good.

Seen an offer for some 58's from EFE at a 'bargain' price. There is no real information about the running gear on these models, so I'm interested to know if they have a decent set-up; central motor position, both bogies motorised, no traction tyres, decent power unit etc.

I know EFE are Bachmann's 'Railroad', second string offering but these locomotives retail at 184 quid so they can't, or shouldn't be too shabby surely?

Offer has them at 35% price reduction which makes this 58 even more attractive, but I have no experience of EFE or Bachmann locos to date.

As far as I can see this run of 58's was originally offered in 2020 so I wonder if any members have any knowledge of these EFE locos.

Happy New Year to everyone from a wet and windy Germany

MickH
Bigmet

Re: EFE Class 58

Post by Bigmet »

This is actually a Heljan product*, and the drive is their standard centre motor arrangement driving the four outside end wheels on each bogie, plentiful traction thanks to a solid cast mechanism frame. Simple construction, easily serviced should that ever be required; not that this has been necessary yet on any of their BoBo models that I own.

*Heljan has limited distribution in the UK, the EFE branded versions of their products means they can be stocked by any model shop with a Bachmann account, offering them more market exposure.

The wet and windy blew through the UK on the the 1st, maybe today's calmer clear skies with much sunshine will reach you tomorrow?
inoffapost

Post by inoffapost »

Excellent feedback Bigmet, thank you!

I think I'll dip my toe and order one.The blue Mainline livery version is stunning, but the EWS livery is just too pretty and is also alittle weathered. Both fit the period of my layout, if the not the operating area, but hey, I was never intending to be prototypical anyway :D I'm only acquiring locomotives I had cab rides in, and now only the CoCo's as I have the opportunity to extend the layout and finally allow these beasts to run a little.

Despite the wind and rain we had 14 degrees today! However, temp is dropping by 7 tomorrow. A little sun would be nice. Think we have only seen it three or four times since before Christmas.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Earlier thread on the class 58:
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 33&t=26613
There were quite a number of requests on forums various for further releases after the 2010 (or thereabouts) initial batch, but unless I am mistaken these EFE branded releases are the first since then.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Bigmet wrote:Earlier thread on the class 58:
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 33&t=26613
There were quite a number of requests on forums various for further releases after the 2010 (or thereabouts) initial batch, but unless I am mistaken these EFE branded releases are the first since then.
I wouldn't swear to it, but I thought there was a second batch from Heljan, but it has been some time since they released any class 58s. The EFE range adds some more variants, but at a dearer price than buying Heljan branded items. That is, unless they come on sale as bargains.

I have three of the Heljan originals and all are excellent runners. The lighting is a bit "ordinary", with some light bleed between head and tail lights, but that is fixable with a little black paint on the light guides.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

SRman wrote:...I wouldn't swear to it, but I thought there was a second batch from Heljan, but it has been some time since they released any class 58s...
The lighting is a bit "ordinary", with some light bleed...
That raised a smile; it's not so long ago there was little trouble remembering what had been released in RTR OO, because there wasn't very much of it!

As for lighting on OO D+E models manufactured in China, might it have been the original Heljan 47 released in 2001, that was the first to come with lighting fitted? (Never owned one of these, so don't have one to look at; but I 'ran in' several for friends to cure the draggy drive trains.) The lighting was somewhat basic on the first generation models, and much matt black paint, trimming of the function outputs and Pentel ink for colour adjustments has been my recourse. I think it was the Bachmann/NRM Deltic prototype model that was the first I had where simply turning down the wick on the decoder was all that was required; pretty clear that Bachmann had pushed the boat out on this specimen...
inoffapost

Post by inoffapost »

Again Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback and very helpful information.

As you correctly stated this locomotive is a re-issue from Heljan offered via EFE and is equipped as Bigmet indicated. I've confirmed same with Rails of Sheffield and taken the plunge. Brand new at 119 pounds and then another 25 for the decoder it still isn't too bad VFM if it performs as well as my Heljan 33's. It will be staying in it's box though while the layout is relocated and extended. So apart from 'chipping' and a bit of running in on the existing circuit it won't see much action until Q3 this year. I'm determined to build the new section with a clear plan this time and try to avoid the plethora of mistakes I made first time around. Every time I switch on I'm amazed it all works so I must have got something right, but even so, making it up as you go along isn't the best way. This time I shall be scouring YouTube for the right processes and best tips, not forgetting this forum, of course, which really does have the best 'modelling minds' out there!

MickH
SRman

Post by SRman »

inoffapost wrote:Again Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback and very helpful information.

As you correctly stated this locomotive is a re-issue from Heljan offered via EFE and is equipped as Bigmet indicated. I've confirmed same with Rails of Sheffield and taken the plunge. Brand new at 119 pounds and then another 25 for the decoder it still isn't too bad VFM if it performs as well as my Heljan 33's. It will be staying in it's box though while the layout is relocated and extended. So apart from 'chipping' and a bit of running in on the existing circuit it won't see much action until Q3 this year. I'm determined to build the new section with a clear plan this time and try to avoid the plethora of mistakes I made first time around. Every time I switch on I'm amazed it all works so I must have got something right, but even so, making it up as you go along isn't the best way. This time I shall be scouring YouTube for the right processes and best tips, not forgetting this forum, of course, which really does have the best 'modelling minds' out there!

MickH
When adding the decoder, the body can be a bit stiff to get off the first time. It does simply unclip from the chassis - the footplates along the sides between the cabs are a part of the body moulding. I hope this helps a little.
inoffapost

Post by inoffapost »

Been a while since I started this thread but I finally got my hands on my EWS 'Bone' which I ordered from Rails back in January!

It had been sitting at my daughter's place in the UK waiting for someone to bring it out to me in DE and that was finally achieved earlier this week.
Very nice model, well packed and presented with light weathering to the EWS livery.

George Dent recently reviewed these EFE 58's in 'Model Rail' magazine and reiterated their 'bargain' value. Indeed, I've seen them now being advertised for 105 quid which is further reduction on the 119 I paid.
It is certainly a heavy model, one of the heaviest I have anyway. So thanks to Bigmet and SRMan for the input earlier in the year. This looks and feels like a good purchase!

MickH