Class 86s being exported to Bulgaria

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
centenary

Class 86s being exported to Bulgaria

Post by centenary »

Vids shows an 86 on the back of a lowloader ready for export with others potentially lined up to follow. Seems crazy these will be sent by road \ ship rather than use the metals?

https://youtu.be/LOSIODW2IzY
Bigmet

Re: Class 86s being exported to Bulgaria

Post by Bigmet »

I suspect that one issue would be gauge, as the former Soviet bloc countries are 5' gauge,and that includes Bulgaria.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

They probably require 'type approval' for each different country rather than just the destination, so possibly rail is an expensive option. As an example, sleeper cars (from a video on YT) intended to be used on cross Europe trains have to be certified for each country/rail system they cross and are removed from the train if not so certificated - as a budget Polish train operator found out the hard way. They may also have been/need to be re-gauged.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I saw three in convoy on the M180 this afternoon, nothing worth capturing from the dashcam as they were on the opposite carriageway and it was raining heavily.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.