Doing Some Nitty-Gritty Stuff

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Richard08

Doing Some Nitty-Gritty Stuff

Post by Richard08 »

Getting through the Great Kit Famine Of '23 I've been doing some of those little details (aside from the festival diorama).
DSC01966.resized.JPG
Bobby Bobby McBobbyson (some recent publications got his name wrong apparently) now has a nice shiny new bike to reduce the time between booking off and arriving at the BRSA club. He's very happy.
DSC01968.resized.JPG
The stove for his signal box is ready to go in - I'm just going to have to do the roof slates (boring). His Turdis is placed ready for action, and the compulsory pile of old sleepers sorted - not quite sure why the 'rust' came out gloss... ho hum, reaches for matt varnish. This whole area is getting a scraping of clay over it to give a proper 'trampled down' effect, it looks too newly spread.
DSC01971.resized.JPG
A ladder for the festival stage lighting to hang off has been painted - also came out gloss! Yes, we really did do that before cheap aluminium staging appeared in the late 80s. The god Annoia has been busy. Four cats are in the process of being turned into Tiddles - not in photo, oops. Also down pipes for the shed by the box and the box itself are ready to go. The mile post is painted (it's 17/1 because straight lines are easier than curved ones). And finally another phone box, this one for the head shunt's yellow dummy, is painted and waiting for weathering.
DSC01969.resized.JPG
And finally, I'm building another coal sack filling thing, which will be adapted a bit (i.e. no wheels) to fit on the household coal hopper to complete that.
Bufferstop

Re: Doing Some Nitty-Gritty Stuff

Post by Bufferstop »

not quite sure why the 'rust' came out gloss.
Stir, stir and stir again. Matt paint is gloss paint with a flatting agent added, it settles to the bottom of the container so your stirrer needs to reach right to the bottom of the tin. Shaking does no good you've got to lift the sludge and mix it in. It can be useful if you need a small patch of gloss to apply decals just stir lightly before applying, no problem matching the shade of gloss and matt it's the same stuff!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Re: Doing Some Nitty-Gritty Stuff

Post by Richard08 »

Bufferstop wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:10 pm
not quite sure why the 'rust' came out gloss.
Stir, stir and stir again. Matt paint is gloss paint with a flatting agent added, it settles to the bottom of the container so your stirrer needs to reach right to the bottom of the tin. Shaking does no good you've got to lift the sludge and mix it in. It can be useful if you need a small patch of gloss to apply decals just stir lightly before applying, no problem matching the shade of gloss and matt it's the same stuff!
I'm well aware of stirring, I think this time the glue that holds the bristles in breaking down was the problem - not least since the brush disintegrated while cleaning! Humbrol Decalfix has eradicated all transfer issues, even the 'hot water' Fox ones. I'm vary wary of 'wonder products' in the main, but Decalfix really does do what it says on the tin. Or, my case, bottle.