A Relief All Round

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Richard08

A Relief All Round

Post by Richard08 »

A present for Signalman Bobby McBobbyface turned up today. The fastest 100m sprint from signal box to goods yard ever. Along with it came a stove for the signal box too, so now there are zero excuses not to finish it completely. I decided to omit the track diagram as there is very limited space over the block instruments meaning it would be invisible anyway.
DSC01859.resized.JPG
Then...
DSC01861.resized.JPG
"Mais non! Zat iz not 'appening!"
Phred

Re: A Relief All Round

Post by Phred »

I know how he feels! I've just returned from a road trip to western Queensland so I've been out of touch.
At the big BP roadhouse in Chinchilla, I asked where the toilets were and was told they were outside and to the right. Outside to the right were two plastic dunnies just like the one in your photo, one for ladies, one for gents.
This huge roadhouse with restaurant and all and they forgot to include toilets in the building? :?

Then again, at the Stonehenge pub north of Windorah the ladies toilet cistern was fed by a garden hose entering through a hole in the outside wall. :shock:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Just got back from a trip to the "smoke", gents at Marylebone was open with just one cubicle working, the apologetic notice said "alternative" available at "Baker Street". It failed to mention it's quicker to take the walking alternative as getting between them by tube involves more walking and stairs than taking to the street. Those Victorians knew a thing or two when it came to building a bog.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Meanwhile, we have just returned from a ramble around the northern half of England, to see members of my wife's family and generally to enjoy the wide open spaces, for which the sun obligingly shone

On recommendation we went to visit the ruins of a Carthusian monastery 'Mount Grace Priory'. This was artfully sited on the western edge of the North York moors, such that there were active springs to provide a water supply to the site. Drinking water was piped to each individual house, one per monk, and likewise a permanently running sewer system provided hygenic facilities for each house. This went up in 1400, and was closed in 1539. The water supply system for the sewers still works, and the sewer channels are largely intact, it wouldn't need overmuch effort to reinstate operation... (The piped potable water supply long ago wrecked by removal of the pipework.)

Of the similar arrangements at Vindolanda from 1800 years ago, the survival of a couple of wooden latrine seats says it all about huge loss of progress on this island in time past...