Steam loco choice ?

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Steam loco choice ?

Post by Bigmet »

I had the chance to admire Bachmann's MR 0-4-4T yesterday, a friend's purchase and very good indeed, both looks very well and runs beautifully. (Having caught a glimpse of the NER G5 0-4-4T in a recent Bachmann video, I have hope that will be to the same standard.)

Between the Sentinel and MR 1F for goods, and the LNWR 'Coal tank' and now the MR 0-4-4T, there's now a useful group of small tank engine power for an LMR modeller with a South Midlands layout, that have arrived since this thread was started in 2010: much better than 'here's an MR/LMS 3F Jinty, and that's your lot' that was the available small RTR OO back then.

Overall, I feel the Southern half of England is now decently served for smaller steam models; still some significant gaps, but much improved over the very limiting selection of just ten years ago, and the new introductions all produced to a very good standard. Will there now be similar progress in increasing the choices for Northern England and Scotland? Quietly optimistic with the L&Y 2-4-2T and J27 and J36 0-6-0's released, and the G5 and 812 to come.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:With the recent Rapido announcement, I now make it twenty RTR OO 0-6-0T's to 'current standard', either produced (14) imminent (1) or announced (5)...
Update overdue! I have lost count now, which is really good news. While uniform national coverage has not yet been achieved, there's been continuing expansion of choice in railway company 0-6-0T, the latest Accurascale announcement of the J67, J68 and J69 likely conferring on the GER the largest choice of 0-6-0T classes for any pre-group railway, with Rapido's J70 thrown into the pot? And it doesn't stop there, because industrial 0-6-0T models have also increased in number.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Once there wasn't much to buy
Now I'm running out of money !!

I keep looking at the Kerr Stuart 'Victory'
Also the Rapido Hunslet 16", with firebox glow and sound under £200.
Honestly I don't need any more traction and love my Pecketts, Ruston and Sentinels
but then ..........

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote:Once there wasn't much to buy...Honestly I don't need any more traction and love my Pecketts, Ruston and Sentinels
but then ...
The solution is to model a wealthy business with an owner who must have the 'latest model' from the private builders. At the end of every financial year if there's money in the pot he trades in the oldest and buys the 'latest and bestest' that's on offer.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigmet,

I'm not running a profitable business, but I'm so tempted
by the Rapido Hunslet fitted with a sound decoder for just
under £200.
An ideal yard loco that would be happy on :- HSII, Derry's Yard,
Lydd Top Sidings, Chalkhill, as well as the club's Green Frog
Brewery (I know 'cos I made it).

Mmmmm ONLY £200, O.K that's not cheap, but it costs me around
£108 a time to put sound into other locos.

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Announced in 2018, and now appears to be in the hands of reviewers, the NER/LNER/BR(NE) G5 0-4-4T. Looks good in what photos I have seen; a useful expansion of choice in tank locos, and not restricted to the former NER lines under LNER ownership, some finding their way onto the former GER lines.

Since the southern end of the ECML (which Is my location of interest) had several connections to the former GER lines, you can probably guess my excuse for interest in one of these. The Hertford, Luton and Dunstable branch really needed locos with low axleload and good flexibility, able to get up 1 in 50 on tight curves without inflicting track damage or becoming derailed, why not try a G5?