Some things never change.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

Some things never change.

Post by Bufferstop »

In 2004 when the (other) NRM bought Scotsman for the nation, Mrs W and I managed to get places on it's inaugural run, York to Scarborough. Due to someone stabling the coaches on the wrong side of the four track ECML it was an hour late in getting away. So this year being it's centenary we booked for one of its trips up and down the K&WVR. Guess what, it's arrival and departure time went from 10mins late to 20mins to 30mins by the time they ushered everyone out of the way to let through Prince Michael of Kent (president of the society), loaded two trollies full of creme teas, and sorted out where the reserved seats would be, they hadn't allowed for 4+2 seating bays, when issuing the tickets, and 50mins down by the end of the round trip. Some things never change, great day though.
I know there's some grumbling about it being in BR loco green and not carrying 4472 on its sides but with a double chimney and German style smoke deflectors Apple Green and 4472 wouldn't be right either.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Re: Some things never change.

Post by glencairn »

Gosh! K&WVR. A good few years I was last there. I remember it just opening in 1968 as a Heritage Railway and visiting regularly until 1973.

As for Flying Scotsman? Seen her more recently.

At NRM Shildon.
IMG_2706.JPG
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought