New Shed Layout = Big Al's new Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Big Al

New Shed Layout = Big Al's new Loft Layout

Post by Big Al »

As previously mentioned in my old thread, Chufferlands Holiday Park.
https://newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forum ... ds#p170429

I've been renovating a storage area in a shed, which measures approximately 105ins x 68ins.
My plan is to eventually have a "round the room" layout.

In the mean time I am installing a previously made layout that is on a base board 76ins x 23ins. 00 gauge, using flexi track that is bent into quite small radius bends at either end. This was set up a few years ago, but I only got as far as track fixed down with screws as a temporary measure until tested and pinned or glued. The layout has been in the loft for a few years and was set up, free standing, with legs. I have brought it down from the loft and have been working at getting it installed ready for use.
I an ideal world I would like to continue to use it free standing as it would then be portable, but I'm struggling to find space for it.

This week I've been replacing the items into the storage shed area and it is fast becoming rammed.

The layout will be quite high with track level being at roughly 46ins but as it is 23ins front to back it will be easy to reach the rear of the layout.
20230419_143701[2254] cropped.jpg
At the end of the layout there is a bench, this bench will be unusual as it is 48ins high. Its a standing bench (or on a stool) as the storage under is the dictating the height. in the photo you will see the layout is sitting a bit too high, this was my initial height but I will reduce it to the new plan of 46ins. I would also like the board to be on hinges to allow access to underneath for wiring etc, I will bring this into the design when installing.

Small stock will be used on the layout and it was always a bit of an experiment, above it there will, eventually, be a round the room layout for longer stock, 2nd and 3rd radius curves.

I've been researching a few ideas and I'm thinking of a small Branchline kind of set up with a shunting area. You will also see the track is laid on mdf this will allow me to play with track height vs the height of the surrounding land. I've often seen track set just above road height on a bank.
Last edited by Big Al on Tue May 16, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.
Bufferstop

Re: New Shed Layout

Post by Bufferstop »

Big Al, there's nowt wrong with a layout that height, it's more or less the same as mine. One of the benefits is that you have a very realistic scale viewing height, it makes blending the model into the backscene much easier. A road running out to the back needs only a slight rise to hide the 3D/2D joint. Something as small as a double-decker bus, a pantechnicon or a clump of trees can make an effective view blocker. Your view varies between looking from ground level to looking from a first floor window, rather than a bird's eye view.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I would suggest there's everything right about having a layout at a height which places the eye between a scale eight and twenty five feet above rail top, from whatever is the normal seated viewing position (I use a bar stool). Useful aspect of having the layout high, more concealed storage is possible beneath.

Layout height is often debated, but the discusion is rarely properly segregated into the two significant categories: Private layouts, and Exhibition layouts.

For a private layout, it's owner's choice. Personally I want something in the range of a trackside/ platform / overbridge or cutting side view; others may want the helicopter view, and that's their decision to make.

Exhibition layout heights are compromised by the need to enable as many visitors as possible a view: far too low in most cases. This is forced by necessity, and it shouldn't influence the height decision for a purely private layout.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Hi all, its been a frustrating few weeks.

I have progressively been adding items back into the shed storage area and have realised that there isn't really enough room to install a layout. It would be to much of a squeeze and would only end up a compromise.

So I've decided to revert back to using the loft. I have a good set up in the loft, it's insulated, boarded out and the walls are cladded, painted etc. There is room up there to have a work bench, all the rolling stock on wall shelves. It would have been easier to use the shed but I'll have a much better dedicated train room in the loft. Size wise the loft room floor space is 8ft x 10ft, I'll use a section of that area, measuring 6ft 6 ins x 8ft.

In the past I've made a fair bit of the layout scenery structure using thin plywood and timber. I have a few small woodwork, bench tools that will be useful for me. Bandsaw, pillar drill, belt sander and a fret saw.

I will still be able to have a round the room twin track set up for longer trains and I still intend to work on a specific small area. it will end up like a micro layout set up within a large loop. because the loft tapers following the roof line the space for that will be 80ins x 84ins. It will need to have a gate or a lift up section to gain entry to the middle of the loop.

Hopefully I'll have a few pictures by the end of the week.

Cheers Alan
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Hi Everyone.

I've started clearing up the loft, ironically I'm moving some items from the loft to the afore mentioned shed storage area, but that was always part of the "Getting everything into the storage area" plan.

Yesterday I had a bit of fun with Scarm. I added some "figures" which are basically shapes I played around with the levels and added different colours to determine how things might work. Then I tried to save it as a photo which would not work. I came up with the idea of photographing it with my phone then emailing it to myself. That transferred it to the laptop. once saved I opened it in paint and cropped and added some more writing. It a bit pale and fuzzy but does the job.
Scarm loft photo.jpg
Scarm loft photo.jpg (160.69 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
You will notice the micro layout will be set further back than the run around loop. That is because of the way the loft is set up and the angle of the roof.
The micro layout is just is a dark green rectangle, but it is shown above for reference, the run round proposed layout is in light green. There is a Velux window above the Benc.h

I know this is not how Scarm is intended to be used but it was a means to an end.

Cheers Alan
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Big Al wrote: I know this is not how Scarm is intended to be used but it was a means to an end.

Cheers Alan
If it works, use it! Relieved to see the twirly chair fitted :-)
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Hi All.

I done a bit of clearing, although you wouldn't know it, ha ha. :) :)
Most of what is seen in the photo will be rearranged or put in the side cupboards of the loft.
So this was the chaos first thing this morning, bearing mind I'd already started tidying up.
loft mess reduced.jpg
After an hour or so, its got a lot better and the desk/bench has been moved up there and rebuilt.
Loft tidied a bit 3 reduced.jpg
The loft is very different than it was back in 2008.
At that time the loft ladder/entrance was at the front of the house.
I revamped the upstairs 5 years ago and move the loft entrance to the back of the accessible from a small box room that is used as an office 1/2 days a week.

You can just see the entrance to the loft on the extreme right.

Climb the ladder and crawl through an opening approx. 3ft x 2ft.

Cheers Alan
Big Al

Re: New Shed Layout = Big Al's new Loft Layout

Post by Big Al »

Hi all.

I thought I would change the subject name, as the shed is a no go area.
The reason I wanted to relocate into the shed was due to my knees not liking the climb into the loft so much anymore.
Beggars cant be choosers, as they say, so Ill make the best of it.
It probably wont be the fastest build in the world but something is better than nothing.

I'll spend a bit of time on the micro layout before I start any progress on the round the room set up.
Next job, up there, is to arrange some form of storage shelves for all the rolling stock, although I only set out that will be used on the micro layout and the rest will remain in there boxes etc.

Cheers Alan
talhariaz

Post by talhariaz »

Your shed renovation project and plans for the layout sound exciting! It's great that you're utilizing the space and considering the practical aspects of reach and portability. The idea of having a round-the-room layout for longer stock sounds promising. To address the height issue, reducing it to 46ins as per your new plan seems like a good adjustment. Incorporating hinges for easy access underneath the layout for wiring and maintenance is a smart addition. A small Branchline setup with a shunting area sounds like a fun concept. It offers versatility and allows for creative play with different track heights and surrounding terrain. Considering the track being laid on MDF gives you the flexibility to experiment with track height in relation to the surrounding land. It's interesting to see the possibility of setting the track just above road height on a bank.

Overall, your project demonstrates a thoughtful approach and a willingness to explore different design ideas. It would be wonderful to receive updates on your development and any new information. Best of luck with your shed renovation and the layout construction
Big Al

Re: New Shed Layout = Big Al's new Loft Layout

Post by Big Al »

Thanks for your kind comments Talhariaz.

I thought using the mdf would a good option, to make the land levels more believable. Some areas will undulate in an attempt to make it all a bit more realistic. I would really like to add an area with a bridge and possibly a river or even a stream running under. That would require cutting a small section of the base board out, I'd probably need to get that done quite soon actually.

I got up into the loft for a while yesterday and ran some trains around, the track needs a clean so I'll have a go with some methylated spirits later, to see if that helps.

Cheers Alan