Squealing Jinty!

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
kebang

Squealing Jinty!

Post by kebang »

I am currently running in a new Hornby Jinty from the Triang Train Set RS.30 'Crash'. When I started the process it was a little 'juddery' but this has smoothed out. However the loco is emitting a faint high pitched squeal or whistle. Haven't experienced this when recently running in a Hornby 0-4-0 R30200, or a Bachmann 2-4-2 , Class 5.
Any idea what this is, and should I be worried?
Bigmet

Re: Squealing Jinty!

Post by Bigmet »

A squeal is high frequency, so typically from the fastest rotating component which is the motor shaft and everything directly connected to it, and whatever is contacting these components. Other sources, gear shafts, pick up wipers on wheel backs.

Run it for some time at medium speed with no load, to assess whether it is getting louder or quieting. This sound can be the motor brushes bedding in to the commutator, or a motor shaft bearing. If the sound persists something to try is a tiny drop of light oil on the motor shaft bearings, applied from the point of a needle: it wants to be so little as to be invisible! Try on just one bearing and re-assess, the less oil used the better.
kebang

Post by kebang »

The squealing has diminished, but this ones a dog! Attempts to run it at a medium speed allows the wheels to make a rotation, pause, rotate again, pause and so on. If I attempt to run at a slow speed (faster than shunting) the wheels rotate once then stop. I bang on the track and get another single rotation and then stop. I have to bang the track continuously to make any progress at all. (My 0-4-0 Railroad R20300 loco is running perfectly, even capable of slow shunting.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Sounds like the pick up wipers need adjustment to obtain continuous running, and there may be more to do than that. Owners of this particular model may be able to provide more specific well targetted advice.
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks Bigmet
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Also do a quick visual check of the wheel quartering just to make sure.