m.levin's layout thread

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
m.levin

Re: m.levin's layout thread

Post by m.levin »

Its been a while, last March I was placed on furlough, hoping that work could start on our extension this was put back, so I used that time to get some modelling done, but during that time we had some nice hot weather, which made working in the loft difficult. After about 5 weeks I returned back to work, on my first day back I was informed that my job role would change, this meant working more hours to reach my targets. At this point the extension work started so things have been very busy, which eats in to the loft time.
Now the extension is 95% completed and work is starting to level out, I still have loads of work to do around the house, but hopefully I can get some loft time in.
Whilst sanding and painting it gives you time to think, so I started to think about the next steps for the layout. The scenic isn’t going to change, so this will be done as and when, but I have started to think about the control side. I currently control my layout from my PC and have automatic running set up, as I just like to sit and watch the trains. I have added short circuit protect to the layout, breaking the layout up in to sections, this way if I get a short, from a train derailing on points and so on, it will shut down sections and not the whole layout, I have liked this up with some feedback that highlights on the RR&Co software which section has the short, I also added a timer that if the short isn’t sorted and a reset button on the screen isn’t pressed, then it shuts the whole layout down, just as extra protection.
But I have found that when I have a short at the other side of the loft or in the hidden section, I have to dart across the loft to press the small reset button on the screen. So my thoughts are to add local push buttons around the layout, which will do the same as the button on the screen, I have been looking at buttons that look similar to the EWS buttons found on locomotives, but they are not in the right price range and not that easy to find, so I may have to fabricate something.
I have also been thinking about making mimic panels, I have some feedback/input boards that communicate with the loconet, so I have been playing about with push buttons to switch points, I have ordered some RGB metal buttons so I can make it all look pretty and then using the built in point motor switch, to feedback to the mimic panel the direction the point is thrown. I then also thought about using the LED outputs on the BL168 detection boards to light up occupied sections. I also plan to add buttons to trigger the layout lighting and activate the loft lighting, that I have installed that simulates sunrise and sunset. The thing that’s slowing it down is what to mount them on, MDF, plastic, metal and how to mark up the rails/lines and numbering/lettering, painted, vinyl stickers, etching?
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

If your question is about mimic panel, what I did on my N gauge layout was to draw something on the PC with all layout features (tracks, legends etc.) colour coded, and then print it off on A4 paper. I then laminated it (using the wife's laminater!) and stuck it onto a piece of plywood for mounting wherever. For holes (for switches, LEDs etc.) I used a punch to cut the hole in the laminate, lined up with drilled holes in the plywood.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Goodness Me Martin,

I'll have to read that later, this is just a flying visit for mail
So I'll have to wait to see what news is in that latest posting.
Good to see you're still fighting the plastic & steel.

Geoff T.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I advocate aluminium sheet for strength, with a printed sheet on top and covered with perspex. It just means that you can disasemble later and replaced the paper print if it changes or fades.
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... &start=195
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Thanks chaps, definitely some food for thought.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Not major updates on my layout over the last few years :(
We have had a lot of building work done on our house, which has taken up a lot of my time, along with other personal issues, meaning the layout has taken a little back step. But everything seems to be levelling out, so had some time to do some modelling.
For Xmas my son and his girlfriend got me the below loco, which I started off by adding a decoder. Then decided to weather it up a little, at the same time I also did my 2MT which still need completing. I’ve never weathered a steam loco but thought I would just go for it and learn from the mistakes, so any feedback will be appreciated.
C33F0EF3-DFC6-4465-B6D1-66DE437F21C3.jpeg
C33F0EF3-DFC6-4465-B6D1-66DE437F21C3.jpeg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 560 times
0F29FFD1-E5E3-4D77-BC09-84908FBEB96F.jpeg
0F29FFD1-E5E3-4D77-BC09-84908FBEB96F.jpeg (62.62 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Martin,

Is the vinegar there to clean off if you've got it wrong ?
Shame the lighting wasn't so bright, but that looks fine to me
generally quite subtle except for water deposit stains as so often
seen. I've not had the courage to 'DO' a steamer yet, diesels are
easy.
Do we have to wait another year for more updates ?

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Martin,

Is the vinegar there to clean off if you've got it wrong ?

Geoff T.
It's for the (DCC) Chips surely!! :lol:

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Nice one Jim !!

Geoff T.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

The vinegar was a miss understanding. I think the guys at work were taking the p*ss! I miss heard and just heard the words “vinegar” “trains” “stroke” :wink: as it is still cold up’t north and we haven’t discovered central heating, I decided to bring some bits down from my loft and work on them on the dining room table. As one of my kids has moved out and the other spends most of her time at her boy friends the full table isn’t used as much, so I can leave bits out now.

For those who have seen my thread in the Hornby section about my class 08, this is the loco in question, with the new Brassmaster coupling rods.
1D40C04C-89BE-4A38-8396-EDD6812ED0BF.jpeg
1D40C04C-89BE-4A38-8396-EDD6812ED0BF.jpeg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 528 times