Hornby Class 43 HST

What are you up to on your workbench
barney121e

Hornby Class 43 HST

Post by barney121e »

Been working on a couple of non running old Hornby HST's. Got one running well but the other one has an issue.

Motor runs well but it has a high pitched whine. Have cleaned everything and greased and oiled where necessary but whine still there. I think the gears might be the problem, but wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

Cheers.

Dave
Richard08

Re: Hornby Class 43 HST

Post by Richard08 »

Did you clean the flashing often present on the gears? See any of OOBill's Ringfield repairs on Youtube for details,it seems to be a noise source.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Richard08 wrote:Did you clean the flashing often present on the gears? See any of OOBill's Ringfield repairs on Youtube for details,it seems to be a noise source.
I did but will give another go. Does sound like it is coming from the gears.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Richard08 wrote:Did you clean the flashing often present on the gears? See any of OOBill's Ringfield repairs on Youtube for details,it seems to be a noise source.
All sorted, was coming from the motor pinion. Now to source a weight to fit the space of the 43. Any ideas where to get one or a substitute?
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

barney121e wrote:
All sorted, was coming from the motor pinion. Now to source a weight to fit the space of the 43. Any ideas where to get one or a substitute?
Lead from next door's roof :-)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It would be the phosphor bronze bearing behind the pinion that was generating the noise. Lubricating the pinion would lubricate the bearing as well. If the pinion shaft sticks in the bearing you can end up with the bearing rotating in the cast frame, now that does make a racket!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard08 wrote:Lead from next door's roof :-)
All bent, corroded and covered in guano? :D

Any decent plumbers or builders merchant is likely to have 'chopped-in' lead offcuts ready to go back for recycling, and should be willing to sell it at scrap price if asked nicely. Fresh sheet lead is so easy to work, it's worth it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Soften the blow of a visit to the tyre depot, ask 'em for some scrap balance weights.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Bit of diesel... Runs fine!

https://youtu.be/D7AGsV2KBzo