Hornby HM7000... Bought But NOT Adroid

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Richard08

Hornby HM7000... Bought But NOT Adroid

Post by Richard08 »

I watched a few, three specifically, videos of this and was pleasantly surprised that it did indeed seem to work well. Well, except that you are really going to need that power pack unless you have the patience of a saint (or two). Out of my huge fleet of three O gauge engines, only one has no sound - the 14xx. Well, it's a 21 pin socket so its it worth a pop in an O gauge engine? Theoretical answer : Yes,the current specs are the same as the Dapol Impirium that's already in there; Practical answer : We'll find out. I don't "need" this, but I do like faffing with technology, e.g. Rocrail does bluetooth, so I should be able to control it form the computer as well (once set up?), pretty pointless but fun. I'm kind of hoping the burn out one reviewer has was due to an incompatible motor - I'm sure somewhere someone said that an rarely used xyz type motor will cause harm, but since the web isn't swamped with 999 calls I'll take it as a, slightly alarming, one-off thing. So I parted with my £80.20 to Hattons and sat back to await a box full of goodness.

Only, while looking to find out if there is a 14xx profile, I stumbled across the one and only mention anywhere that it's for IOS and not Android. Well, that was a complete waste of money and will have to go back. Sorry Hattons, blame Hornby. I'm livid.
centenary

Re: Hornby HM7000... Bought But NOT Adroid

Post by centenary »

Richard08 wrote:I watched a few, three specifically, videos of this and was pleasantly surprised that it did indeed seem to work well. Well, except that you are really going to need that power pack unless you have the patience of a saint (or two). Out of my huge fleet of three O gauge engines, only one has no sound - the 14xx. Well, it's a 21 pin socket so its it worth a pop in an O gauge engine? Theoretical answer : Yes,the current specs are the same as the Dapol Impirium that's already in there; Practical answer : We'll find out. I don't "need" this, but I do like faffing with technology, e.g. Rocrail does bluetooth, so I should be able to control it form the computer as well (once set up?), pretty pointless but fun. I'm kind of hoping the burn out one reviewer has was due to an incompatible motor - I'm sure somewhere someone said that an rarely used xyz type motor will cause harm, but since the web isn't swamped with 999 calls I'll take it as a, slightly alarming, one-off thing. So I parted with my £80.20 to Hattons and sat back to await a box full of goodness.

Only, while looking to find out if there is a 14xx profile, I stumbled across the one and only mention anywhere that it's for IOS and not Android. Well, that was a complete waste of money and will have to go back. Sorry Hattons, blame Hornby. I'm livid.
It is for use with Android but because Android is open source and has many versions, the Android specific version isnt available yet.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

centenary wrote:
It is for use with Android but because Android is open source and has many versions, the Android specific version isnt available yet.
Not my problem. It should be made abundantly clear that it is iOS only. 'Yet' or 'soon' isn't good enough, at the very least a firm date. I hate having to ring up innocent suppliers for a refund - and have this months modelling budget tied up.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Richard08 wrote:
centenary wrote:
Not my problem. It should be made abundantly clear that it is iOS only. 'Yet' or 'soon' isn't good enough, at the very least a firm date. I hate having to ring up innocent suppliers for a refund - and have this months modelling budget tied up.
Well it is, isnt it because you bought something without doing proper research. All the reviews Ive seen have made it clear, that's how I know about the lack of Android version. Personally, I wouldnt buy such new tech on spec without due dilligence but that must just be my MO.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

centenary wrote:
Richard08 wrote:
centenary wrote:
Well it is, isnt it because you bought something without doing proper research. All the reviews Ive seen have made it clear, that's how I know about the lack of Android version. Personally, I wouldnt buy such new tech on spec without due dilligence but that must just be my MO.
Actually, it isn't his problem as the box for the already released product clearly advertises that you can get the app on the google play store and there is no mention on the product page on the Hatton's website that this is incorrect. Not everyone is going to watch youtube reviews to see that it isn't the case and without having seen Hornby mention that the app isn't ready yet for android, it's understandable that people can be caught unawares.
R7322_20230320131649_4173441_Qty1_BOX.JPG
R7322_20230320131649_4173441_Qty1_BOX.JPG (18.4 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard08 wrote:... 'Yet' or 'soon' isn't good enough...
Especially not from Hornby, which has a track record of 'launch new thing, get bored with it, abandon ship, leave customers stranded'.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Alexander Court wrote:
Actually, it isn't his problem as the box for the already released product clearly advertises that you can get the app on the google play store and there is no mention on the product page on the Hatton's website that this is incorrect. Not everyone is going to watch youtube reviews to see that it isn't the case and without having seen Hornby mention that the app isn't ready yet for android, it's understandable that people can be caught unawares.

R7322_20230320131649_4173441_Qty1_BOX.JPG

Alex
Worse is that Hornby on their site only have a small comment on the HM7000 root page that Android is not available. If, as I did, you google straight to the Hornby product page (I was looking for specs - 'research' if you like) there is no mention of the lack of Android support. Hattons, or any other retailer, are not responsible for Hornby's omission. Subsequently I note some retailers do mention the problem. If I hadn't happened to use Hattons (price search) I might have fund out what Hornby should have told everyone. I should not have to do anything with impressive words before buying a product advertised as being compatible. I'm now going to contact Hornby and find out if they have a release date.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

7 days to get a reply to an e-mail.... meanwhile I looked through the entire support sections of the Hornby site. No mention whatsoever of the Android issue. Ducking the issues seems to be the order of the day, there's no way no one else has had a problem.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

You obviously do not frequent the Hornby Forum which has a dedicated HM7000 section where the subject of getting hold of the App in either platform variant has been done to death in the weeks since the product launch at the beginning of the year.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

RAF96 wrote:You obviously do not frequent the Hornby Forum which has a dedicated HM7000 section where the subject of getting hold of the App in either platform variant has been done to death in the weeks since the product launch at the beginning of the year.
No, I don't frequent the Hornby forum, why would I when this is the only Hornby product I'm interested in?
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

So it arrived today. I rang Hornby to see what's up with the Android version. "Probably 2 to 3 weeks." The biggest red flag going in the software world, with no definite date so it's going back. Hornby (or anyone else) - don't announce what you cannot deliver. The HM7000 pages seriously need an "iOS Only" banner until it isn't.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Richard08 wrote:
RAF96 wrote:You obviously do not frequent the Hornby Forum which has a dedicated HM7000 section where the subject of getting hold of the App in either platform variant has been done to death in the weeks since the product launch at the beginning of the year.
No, I don't frequent the Hornby forum, why would I when this is the only Hornby product I'm interested in?
When I buy stuff I research all I can find out about it.
You have chin-wagged on this forum about it so why not take a look at the horses mouth site for such info.
No matter - you have made up your mind - it’s your money and your right to do with it as you like.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester