Hello from Wigan

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
MiniNorthWestern

Hello from Wigan

Post by MiniNorthWestern »

Hello, my name is Tom.
I'm not a wordy kind of person but thought I'd introduce myself and post a few bits now and again.
I've started to gather parts to build my own layout, which will be loosely modelled on Wigan North Western during Virgin's tenure.

As a software developer and electronics tinkerer some of my ideas/work might be a little controversial to some...
The layout will be neither DC nor DCC as I will be equipping each model with a Raspberry Pi Pico W and a motor controller.
This will enable each engine to be independently controlled via a web interface over wifi.
I'll be making a post about this soon for those interested.

I suppose that's it for now, so hello!
Admin4

Re: Hello from Wigan

Post by Admin4 »

Hi Tom, welcome aboard.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

MiniNorthWestern wrote: As a software developer and electronics tinkerer some of my ideas/work might be a little controversial to some...
The layout will be neither DC nor DCC as I will be equipping each model with a Raspberry Pi Pico W and a motor controller.
This will enable each engine to be independently controlled via a web interface over wifi.
I'll be making a post about this soon for those interested.

I suppose that's it for now, so hello!
Hello Tom! Welcome aboard. While appreciating that you are probably tinkering for tinkering's sake (which is great), are you aware of bluetooth DCC which is starting to appear - which allows DCC operation with DC or DCC track providing the power only (auto detection of which one). Just thought it might be worth mentioning.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Welcome to the forum Tom. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
MiniNorthWestern

Richard08 wrote: Hello Tom! Welcome aboard. While appreciating that you are probably tinkering for tinkering's sake (which is great), are you aware of bluetooth DCC which is starting to appear - which allows DCC operation with DC or DCC track providing the power only (auto detection of which one). Just thought it might be worth mentioning.
Hi Richard,
Yeah, tinkering for tinkering's sake mainly, the other being cost!
I am aware of a couple of the wireless control options, however, all seem to be on the pricey side (from what I've seen).
I'm able to get pretty much the same level of control for a minimal cost, around £15 an engine.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Tom. A knowledgeable crew here, though I cannot say I am one of them. You lost me when you said "electronics tinkerer." :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

MiniNorthWestern wrote:...The layout will be neither DC ...
In one respect all our RTR models are DC, very obviously, the installed motor. These motors vary from good designs made to a decent manufacturing standard, all the way to shoddy. It will be interesting to read how your control method deals with the range you encounter, and what limitations in on track performance might apply.
MiniNorthWestern

Thank you all for your kind welcome.

I'll make a Workbench post soon on the current setup I've built for my engine control.
So far I've converted two engines with Ringfield motors, a more recent Hornby Class 47 and an HST from the '80s.
Both of these were in my opinion easy to do as their DC setup is quite basic, with loads of space inside.

I do however have a Bachmann Class 150 which is DCC enabled, which has challenges of its own.
The main issue is space constraints due to the large internal metal chassis (?) housing the motor and shafts.
Luckily, interfacing with the 21-pin socket is straightforward with a PCB from Strathpeffer Junction.

In terms of limitations, I'm not sure yet! Probably a few! But that's half the fun, isn't it? :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

MiniNorthWestern wrote:...The main issue is space constraints due to the large internal metal chassis (?) housing the motor and shafts...
You will find a lot of this in the 'newly tooled for production in China' D+E traction models. There was a sea change in design, first seen in the UK in 1992: from Hornby and Lima's European productions, plastic chassis, much airspace within the bodies, dependent on traction tyres on a self contained power bogie; to Bachmann releasing their 'Peak' using the mechanism pattern developed for the North American market, pioneered by Athearn, cast metal chassis block which largely fills the moulded body shell, centrally placed motor with shaft drive to both bogies, all metal wheels picking up from the track, and ample weight for traction.

Nothing a hacksaw can't fix! I very quickly 'adjusted' the Bachmann Peak chassis so that a Lima Class 40 body and external bogie frames would fit, so that I then had two early BR diesel types to run on my garden line. This kind of thing was and remains great fun! Look forward to read of your doings...
MiniNorthWestern

Bigmet wrote:Nothing a hacksaw can't fix!
That's the kind of hackery I don't mind and glad to see it isn't frowned upon! :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Far from frowned on. My first thought with every new RTR OO announcement is 'what potential is there in chopping this up, to make something different for myself? '.

Current target the new Sonic A5, just need a cheap mechanism from it and I am off...
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

MiniNorthWestern wrote:... loosely modelled on Wigan North Western during Virgin's tenure.
Hello Tom, and welcome.
I did not know Wigan as a four-year old, but we arrived by train, and then local bus to Wrightington (Appleby bridge?) often enough. As a four-year old I was delighted to be riding on a Puffer!
Cheers, Chris
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That's the kind of hackery I don't mind and glad to see it isn't frowned upon! :lol:
You'll see some great craftsmanship on here, then there's the rest of us. One new member explained that he immediately felt at home on here when I described forming a saddle tank wrapper from a piece of PVC chopped of a length of inch and a quarter waste pipe.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bufferstop wrote:You'll see some great craftsmanship on here, then there's the rest of us.
I'll get my coat. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread