Update 12/2 to ask about tunnels - Track ballast and static grass question and tunnel portals

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
barney121e

Update 12/2 to ask about tunnels - Track ballast and static grass question and tunnel portals

Post by barney121e »

So i have a trackplan that i am happy with (only took 8 months but it will work for me). So now my mind turns to ballasting track and static grass. So i have two questions.

1. What size ballast would people recommend for OO gauge track? I have a feeling it would be medium but wanted to check. Will be using woodland scenics trackbed if that makes a difference.

2. I understand about using different size static grass, seems some 2mm, 4mm and 6mm seems the way to go. But how do people mix colours, and do you adjust colour and size for lets say a green field and area around a tunnel entrance for instance?

Any views much appreciated.
Last edited by barney121e on Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard08

Re: Track ballast and static grass question

Post by Richard08 »

barney121e wrote:
1. What size ballast would people recommend for OO gauge track? I have a feeling it would be medium but wanted to check. Will be using woodland scenics trackbed if that makes a difference.
Ballast varies according to circumstances, but for the UK post 1970 or so the stones would be in the 37 to 50 mm range, with a lower minimum size of 10 to 30mm previously. On Woodland Scenics US site they give the specs of their ballast - the medium grade matches exactly the BR/Railtrack spec in O gauge! This would imply a smaller size for 00, whatever is below 'medium'. However, what the eye sees may require some flexibility - dead scale does not necessarily translate well visually, so it's a bit of a case beauty being in the eye of the beholder so to speak. I.e. do whatever looks good to you.
barney121e wrote: 2. I understand about using different size static grass, seems some 2mm, 4mm and 6mm seems the way to go. But how do people mix colours, and do you adjust colour and size for lets say a green field and area around a tunnel entrance for instance?
The best thing is to look at photos of the real thing to see how it works and then mix and match. Personally (O gauge) I do a coat of 2mm (two or three shades) and then add areas of 4mm, 6mm (or 7) to get texture (if that's the word). If it goes wrong don't be afraid to scrape it off and have another go. This bit of the hobby is 3d art really so there's no hard and fast rules, the only way is to try it and see.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi barney 121e,

Ballast size ?
I have usually used Woodland Scenics Medium on my '00' although fine is actually a more appropriate size as Richard08 says.
There is a practical reason, That is it's easier to lay and less likely to fall through any small openings around wire feed holes.
Secondly being that bit coarser it's easier to keep out of point workings, even allowing single grains to be collected on the
pointed end of a dampened kebab stick.

Grass, I look more at blending colours than length. Nature has almost zero colour consistency, I tend to try and colour shade
to fit certain landscape variations like damp hollows, or thin soils on a ridge that dries out. Never have a real plan, just work
as I fancy, all artistic like !!

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

For me, definitely fine ballast. What is described as 00 ballast is for me looks too large. Mind you I model 1960s and I think ballast size was smaller back then.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Thanks all, all helpful stuff.
Phred

Post by Phred »

For a little narrow gauge layout that I've started, using N gauge track, I bought a bag of 'washed river sand' from Bunnings, the Australian equivalent of Homebase. I sifted it through three different sized sieves until I found a grain size that looked right. Cheap as chips, except that chips are not all that cheap these days.
barney121e

Re: Track ballast and static grass question and tunnel portals

Post by barney121e »

Hi guys

A quick question. As i am using setrack i am finding it difficult to find a tunnel portal, and guess i might have same issue with a bridge. I do have a scalecast mould that i have cut and put a small bit in to widen the portal, and looks ok, but does anyone have suggestions on other portals and bridges? Looking at 125mm internal measurement minimum.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

barney121e wrote:Hi guys

A quick question. As i am using setrack i am finding it difficult to find a tunnel portal, and guess i might have same issue with a bridge. I do have a scalecast mould that i have cut and put a small bit in to widen the portal, and looks ok, but does anyone have suggestions on other portals and bridges? Looking at 125mm internal measurement minimum.
Wills (Peco). Modelscene and quite a lot more. Google will help - watch out for HO ones being sold as OO though.
End2end

Post by End2end »

barney121e wrote:i am finding it difficult to find a tunnel porta
I'm having the same problem as my tunnel mouths will be on set track curves and the longer rolling stock hangs out over the track width. :?
I think I need a vertical walled tunnel rather than a curved wall tunnel.???
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Richard08 wrote:
barney121e wrote:Hi guys

Wills (Peco). Modelscene and quite a lot more. Google will help - watch out for HO ones being sold as OO though.
Have looked at those but the width isnt enough. The only one i have find is a downloadable one by Smart Models.
End2end wrote:
barney121e wrote:i am finding it difficult to find a tunnel porta
I'm having the same problem as my tunnel mouths will be on set track curves and the longer rolling stock hangs out over the track width. :?
I think I need a vertical walled tunnel rather than a curved wall tunnel.???
Thanks
End2end
Possibly. The Smart Models one should work, i also have a scalecast mould which i have added a little bit in the middle, will post a picture of it below. Im halfway thru painting to see what it looks like.
barney121e

Re: Update 12/2 to ask about tunnels - Track ballast and static grass question and tunnel portals

Post by barney121e »

Here is picture.
tunnela.jpg
End2end

Re: Update 12/2 to ask about tunnels - Track ballast and static grass question and tunnel portals

Post by End2end »

Will it be on straight or curved track barney?
Could you possibly take a picture of it 'in situ' please just to give me a rough idea?

Also, if you've made the tunnel mouth out of 2 casts, I wonder if you could cut off the bottom stone either side of the unwanted cast and stick them to the bottom of the tunnel mouth just to give it that little bit more height with 2 'foot stones' either side instead of one as the curves might impede clearance?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Will it be on straight or curved track barney?
Could you possibly take a picture of it 'in situ' please just to give me a rough idea?

Also, if you've made the tunnel mouth out of 2 casts, I wonder if you could cut off the bottom stone either side of the unwanted cast and stick them to the bottom of the tunnel mouth just to give it that little bit more height with 2 'foot stones' either side instead of one as the curves might impede clearance?
Thanks
End2end
Hi @End2end

Photos below. I have put it on a bend as this is where it will go on my layout. Seems room all round. The first photo is of the smartmodels one, just the tunnel opening on a bit of A4 just to get the idea. Hope that helps.
Attachments
tunnel4.jpg
tunnel3.jpg
tunnel2.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks barney. That does help. :wink:
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
gppsoftware

Post by gppsoftware »

As far as ballast goes, nearly all suppliers produce it overscale. I find that using OO scale ballast for O gauge and N gauge ballast for OO is a pretty good choice.

I wrote an article on ballast scale here: https://modelrailways.online/pages/vu/BallastSize

And how to lay it: https://modelrailways.online/pages/vu/BallastingTrack

Building tunnel mouths on a curve here: https://modelrailways.online/pages/vu/M ... unnelMouth