control panel, tortoise and DS64

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Mark19

control panel, tortoise and DS64

Post by Mark19 »

Hi

Looking for some advice, I have my tortoise point motors wired so they work on Dcc via a DS64 and they work great, I have pins 1 and 8 wired to the ds64 pins 2 and 3 wired to the track and pin 4 wired to the frog.

So I now want to wire in a control panel with a push button switch and a LED indicator lamp red and green but not sure how to do this any help would be fantastic please

Mark
Richard08

Re: control panel, tortoise and DS64

Post by Richard08 »

I haven't watched it all the way through, but this may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7y_q98BNE
Bufferstop

Re: control panel, tortoise and DS64

Post by Bufferstop »

The quetsion is do you want your control panel to operate the points via the decoder or just by direct wire. If it's the latter you need to check that the decoder won't mind having a voltage similar to its own output applied to its output wires (sometimes called "a backfeed"). The quickest but most costly way to find out is to try it. If the decoder lets go of its blue smoke you'll know it didn't like it. Seriously you may need to ask the manufacturer or do some heavy research of their technical info. The happiest solution is to find that the decoder has a relay in each output line.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions