Magnetic couplings

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
SOOTYBRUM

Magnetic couplings

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Advice needed please on magnetic couplings. Which are the best ...Hunt Couplings ELITE - N Gauge or the ones produced by GLR. Bespoke Services.
I have a small number of locos, carriages etc. I am new to N gauge modelling and very confused by the couplings I have on my locos etc.
I have attached some photos and perhaps someone could explain to me what they are? I have Googled the subject but still confused .NEM or non-NEM?
I am thinking of putting magnetic couplings on all my rolling-stock. . Is that a good idea or not?
Attachments
Western2.JPG
Western.JPG
Class66v2.JPG
Class66.JPG
Carriage2.JPG
centenary

Re: Magnetic couplings

Post by centenary »

The standard coupling on those N scale locos remind me of th eold Hornby Dublo ones.

The Hunt couplings look better imho and I intend swapping the horrid tension locks with these. Some people say the magnetic couplings can pull apart on long, heavy trains. None of the independent reviews on YT Ive seen have highlighted this problem though.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The standard N Gauge coupler is the 'Arnold Rapido' type - no relation to the Canadian business 'Rapido' - 'Arnold Rapido' was the brand under which the first commercial N gauge range was launched circa 1964: and that's definitely what is fitted on the models where the coupler is clearly visible in the photographs.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

centenary wrote: The Hunt couplings look better imho and I intend swapping the horrid tension locks with these. Some people say the magnetic couplings can pull apart on long, heavy trains. None of the independent reviews on YT Ive seen have highlighted this problem though.
Mag couplings main disadvantage is deliberate uncoupling - unless shunting isn't on the agenda something of a show stopper.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Can I slightly go off the current theme, but not highjack it, still with magnetic couplers. if anyone knows which magnetic couplers would be best suited the new Hornby Lion loco and rolling stock, I would be most appreciative. Thanks now back to the main thread.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote:...Some people say the magnetic couplings can pull apart on long, heavy trains. None of the independent reviews on YT Ive seen have highlighted this problem though.
This is easily characterised by simple measurement of weight lift, but since there is practically no one with technical know how in the hobby any longer, that will have to wait until I get around to trialling them. (Realistically it needs characterisation of the loads applied by rolling stock for straight, defined radius curve and occupancy of curves, and gradient.)
Trainfish

Post by Trainfish »

centenary wrote:The standard coupling on those N scale locos remind me of th eold Hornby Dublo ones.

The Hunt couplings look better imho and I intend swapping the horrid tension locks with these. Some people say the magnetic couplings can pull apart on long, heavy trains. None of the independent reviews on YT Ive seen have highlighted this problem though.
There's a Hunt magnetic coupler on the Dapol 58 and the 1st of 20 heavy and loaded JHA Yeoman wagons here. Never had a random uncoupling yet.

From about 40 seconds in
All stock in this link is for sale. PM me if you're interested in anything! Sometimes there's nothing here, usually because I'm buying more stuff which I'll change my mind about in a month or so and then sell it again. That's modelling though isn't it?