Changing the Traction Tyres - Hornby Tender Drive - Britannia(s)

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Hornchurch

Changing the Traction Tyres - Hornby Tender Drive - Britannia(s)

Post by Hornchurch »

'

After ages of thinking "Ahhh Bo^^&&s" & putting it off, I've been prompted to ask the magic question....

As per title - How DO I get those damn tenders apart, in order to change those lousy infuriating "traction tyres" ????

I attempted it a few years back (without attempting to break anything, much !), but deflated/dejected, slung it to one side.

Didn't overly phase me at the time, as, due to "Geneological" reasons, I'd bought the Britannia named "Clive of India" as a static piece.

Essentially, without going into detail here, my Grandad WAS a driver of B.17's & Britannias during his 1920's to 1965 service

It just got brushed aside by the acquisition of (much) newer & finer models - (I had more money coming n back then, so....)

Subject kinda got thrown back at me later this eve', as I was watching one of Jenny Kirk's You Tube videos

Social commenter on her thread had asked....

Ray Marsh
4 months ago

I wonder if you can tell me how to remove a ring motor from the chassis of most tenders as I need to replace the traction tyres.

The motor seems to held in by a catch somewhere.

I have 3 tenders now that I want to put new tyres on but just cant get to the wheels.

Sorry to have bothered you Jenny, but I have asked around and can't get an answer.

Thank you for reading this.

Having read Ray's remarks, penny-registered & I suddenly thought.... "Jeeez, That's me that is, same scenario, same hassle".

Obv's his post went & has remained unanswered, so, "if" any of you lads know the procedure here, please DO explain "How" ?

I know that 'way back when' (before I cast it aside & thought "Ahhh B*****ks", I was on the verge of braking something.

As I said, it WAS only bought for the story behind it & my Genealogical link/links with THAT particular loco'

I didn't really "dive back into the hobby" until about 4-years thereafter & learned quick - (avoiding traction-tyres like bubonic plague !!!! :wink:

Bigmet

Re: Changing the Traction Tyres - Hornby Tender Drive - Britannia(s)

Post by Bigmet »

Take the body off. The tender drive clips into broad cutouts at each end of the underframe. Often the plastic underframe cracks or breaks while levering out the drive unit. Alternatively it is reputedly possible to manipulate tyres on with the underframe in place, so some do say...

Personally, I'd suggest sell and buy the infinitely superior current loco drive models if any are of a model subject you want and affordable. Hornby's current Britannia is a good model: 'bob on' for appearance, heavy, and 'goes like train'. Alternatively, your Grandad on the GER and LNER/BR-GE section will have known the B12/3. That's arguably the best current steam model in Hornby's catalogue, a real beauty which benefits from a cast metal boiler for ample weight for traction: and Hornby don't even bother to advertise this useful feature; way better than both their B1 and B17 which surely look fine, but lack weight thanks to plastic bodies...