Is this site in decline?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
whufcfan

Re: Is this site in decline?

Post by whufcfan »

quote="Flashbang"]any political motovated posts will be removed by a moderator.. /quote]

I take it that's aimed at me as I don't go along with nor regurgitate the BBC's nonsense and actually research for myself. :lol:
None of my posts were "Politically motivated and I don't lie. That's the Corporate media's job.
For example, discussing a current "SPECIAL MILTARY OPERATION" that's causing problems with the delivery of our modelling items.
We are not being political we are discussing the REASONS. :roll:
Sometimes the admin are too heavy handed when all we are dong is discussing something.

And I read 99% of ALL posts if they come up on the NEW POSTS thread. Some wil get a reply, others post I will just read and enjoy.
Thanks
End2end
Totally agree, and the silence is deafening!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Amazing! Nearly every day there is over 100 people all day online at this Forum. Interesting also is the fact only a few contribute?
Those of you not saying anything, join in. It would be interesting to hear about your railway modelling.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

whufcfan wrote:Thoughts?
Based on a superficial view of statistics this sunny (Hooray) Sunday afternoon here in Bonavista ...
Untitled.png
... I am inclined to respond "No" to the question posed in the Topic title.
Cheers, Chris
captrees

Post by captrees »

Its interesting that a non model railway thread attracts so many responses to its discussions, thereby answering its own question.

I have a look most days. It is my only link to the railway modelling world. It took me a little while to get used to the lack of response on build threads, which are the lifeblood of this forum, until I realised that I was as guilty of this as anyone else. Then it seemed the norm.

It isn't in decline, IMO.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I tend to avoid posting sometimes incase I say the wrong thing.
I often write a lot but then delete it.
Rules cross lines so impossible to talk about railway history...
Last edited by Mountain on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

Another signed up lurker here, and agree with the observations raised. I have been posting on one or two of the "better" FB groups that cater for the modeller rather than the train set approach, and I'm saying that without prejudice,as plenty of folk get their satisfaction from this, and that's what the hobby is about. I have always been a build it yourself type, necessitated by the subject of my modelling interest, and enjoy it that way, but when I built a train set for my son a couple of decades ago - 8x4 roundy, tunnel station et al, I really enjoyed playing with it - took me back to my childhood Hornby Dublo one that set all of this off, but which was never scenicised to any extent and had homemade cardboard buildings from cereal boxes. I remember my delight when I got an Airfix footbridge for it!

It is the nature of our modern electronic world to change, and rapidly, and it does seem that the younger generation are not as forum orientated, preferring You Tube and FB, but while its immediacy is attractive it does not built up a library of easily explorable modelling in the way that a forum has managed, but that will not stop things changing. Yes, the answer is for more to post, but as time passes it becomes an essential to prioritise ones wants - an hour or so posting and reading a forum is time away from modelling, and in my case, no matter how much I build the pile of projects never seems to decrease.The decline of forums ,as noted, is widespread - two seperate trade forums I am on both have has a very similar discussion recently, with no real solutions, and TBH, I have picked up more hints and tips and help from a FB trade site in a couple of years there than I ever got from the equivalent trade forum over two decades, but that sort of thng is different from the retained information that a modelling group requires.

Finally, a couple of personal observations.I joined this site about a decade ago, but have rarely posted as I found the image issue a real hassle compared to RMweb, where I have been more or less from its first stable reincarnation in 2005, and the ease of image posting there meant I used that site as my outlet. It has grown far too large over the years to my mind, and prefer smaller forums where modelling is the norm rather than the seeming exception, but it does have its advantages in the pool of knowledge there, if you sift, as said earlier.The various technical hitches, plus the disaster of the loss of almost all the images has rendered the place a shadow of itself, and the adverts make visiting it a nightmare. I have all but given up on it,; moved to Western Thunder which is an oasis of calm compared to it and will take a look at perhaps starting a layout thread here. As for there - use an ad blocker and when the header comes up blocking you just click on the "I intend to sin up to pay" or whatever it says and it will go, leaving ad free access to the site.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Adds on RM Web made it so I could not read the threads or the box I was typing in so I stopped using it. Think it is because I use a tablet. Those using other devices may not be effected so much?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Thanks for that well thought out reply TomTom,

While posting levels have fallen it seems that this site still has legs.
However it's not a lifetime thing, some people drift off into other things
just like a physical club. One of our old members drifted off into playing
in a jazz trio, but that faded so he's back into railways again !!

I used to post lots - when I was doing all sorts, a new diorama every year,
but that can't go on for ever.

I have started back on some wagons that were never finished, part of the
"Pending" stash that most of us have.

We do have some on-going difficulties that need addressing regarding Moderators
and/or someone who actually understands PHP boards. Believe me that is well
beyond my skill levels. In fact about all I'm good for now is reminiscing on the past.
With the "When I was a lad" stories !!

Geoff T.
b308

Post by b308 »

Having been away for over a year when I came back the first thing I noticed was that it was the same "faces", with very few newbies. I feel it's become something of a club where you meet the same people every day... Whether that means it's in decline is another matter, as long as those people post and a few new ones come along then no... But it could easily go the other way, I do wonder if the forum's title is a bit misleading, though... ;)

With regard to the discussion on RMWeb and the bit about the conflict in the Ukraine being the reason for the delays in getting stuff over here being a good enough reason to discuss the war, I'd disagree, the war may be the reason, but that's the end of it, there's nothing we can do about it and discussing it doesn't make it any better and is nothing to do with railway modelling. So I can see, and agree with, their stance. Otherwise we'd see discussions on China's Covid policy (another reason for delays!) or even why container ships get themselves stuck going through canals! More importantly, the first two of those can easily end up with a discussion on politics, which, along with religion, cause far too many arguments and are one thing I'd like many forums to clamp down on much harder than they do at the moment.

I agree with Jim-SW about forums being a better place than FB for some discussions, being able to find some pearl of wisdom on FB is hopeless but much easier on a forum, on the other hand general discussion on FB is easier... Swings and roundabouts...
End2end

Post by End2end »

b308 wrote:there's nothing we can do about it and discussing it doesn't make it any better and is nothing to do with railway modelling.
The same could be said of the blocking of the Suez a while back.
That seemed to get it's airing on the forum.

Wait until you find out that the "war in Ukraine" has been going on since the referendum in 2014. Not just since the "Special military operation" that the BBC spouts. :|

It's a topsy turvy World..... then along comes the re-emergence TT gauge! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

captrees wrote:Its interesting that a non model railway thread attracts so many responses to its discussions, thereby answering its own question...
Also 'interesting' is that this thread really ought to have been started in 'off-topic discussions'.

All the online forums I have experienced over the years (my other interests include composed music, high fidelity sound reproduction, english literature, history of western civilisation, christian faith) have amply demonstrated that even folks with significant academic chops cannot consistently post in the correct section. (Good example, the section is C18th choral works, and a genuine published academic of no small reputation starts a post about the latest release by the 'Screaming Abdabs' or some such: when there's a perfectly good section titled 'All non-composed music here please'.)
TomTom wrote:...RMweb... has grown far too large over the years to my mind, ... but it does have its advantages in the pool of knowledge there, if you sift, as said earlier...
I would suggest it's not the size that is the problem, but an anciently recognised difficulty, which is organisation of knowledge. How to fund curation is an unsolved obstacle for 'informal' forums: fortunately it is unlikely to have any serious consequences, just a little frustration for a 'someone' in the future with a query that cannot be answered.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Mountain wrote:... so impossible to talk about railway history...
I wouldn't say that.
20221224_083905.jpg
As recently as last Christmas Eve eI made a complete model of Newfoundland's Railway system, right here on my living-room floor! :twisted:
Cheers, Chris
b308

Post by b308 »

End2end wrote:The same could be said of the blocking of the Suez a while back.
That seemed to get it's airing on the forum.
It isn't politics or religion so isn't banned or likely to cause argument or offence. A discussion on the war on Ukraine is guaranteed to end up political.
End2end

Post by End2end »

b308 wrote:It isn't politics or religion so isn't banned or likely to cause argument or offence. A discussion on the war on Ukraine is guaranteed to end up political.
My point is only that it all has a knock on effect. :wink:
Whether price of items, shipment or even down to raw materials / resources.
How many Hornby wheels can you make from the tanks we gave away? :lol: :lol:

Like the Suez incident. At the time many posts appeared on the forum about it and I said don't worry about it. Sure enough 6 weeks later it was cleared but that doesn't mean to say it hasn't had / didn't have a knock on effect.
Both with it's own cargo and the cargo on ships that were left stationary for some time because of it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
b308

Post by b308 »

Missed my point, but never mind...