z21 and DccConcepts point decoders no longer working!

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
NedFlanders

z21 and DccConcepts point decoders no longer working!

Post by NedFlanders »

It was too good to last.

While doing a running session while some glue was setting ( nowhere near any points), the points suddenly stopped working - all of them!

what I have is a Roco z21
z21.JPG
and the red Multimaus
MM.JPG
MM.JPG (30.6 KiB) Viewed 486 times
and from DCC concepts - 2X2point decoders, 1X4point decoder and 1X8 point decoder.
ADS-2sx.JPG
all have the blue light on - signifying ( I believe) that the capacitors are charged. all get their power from the main bus - no sperate bus to fault find here.

I took the three locos off the track, turned off power to the controller, pressed the discharge on all the point decoders and then turned it all back on again.

Not a budge from any of the point decoders with any of the points. I have the app on an Ipad and I also tried with the Multimaus handheld. The locos all work fine - nothing from the points though.

Before I start disconnecting individual decoders etc. - am I missing an obvious trick/known problem?

Thanks.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr
Flashbang

Re: z21 and DccConcepts point decoders no longer working!

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
Firstly have you carried out the Roco Z21 instructions as per the decoder leaflet?

Ensure the decoders Set/Run switch is in the Run position.

Next and assuming the switch was already in the Run position then take a short piece of wire and strip both ends by about 5mm Twist up stranded wire ends to form a more solid wire. Connect one end of the wire into the 'C' terminal of the second set of three terminals along the bottom marked "PB MOM SW" with the free end of the wire and the decoder powered up, dab On then Off the wire end onto the 'L' and then 'R' terminals of that same group of three. This with each dab On and Off should cause the point motor connected to that same sides output to move over and back. If it does, remove wire and reconnect to other sides PB MOM SW 'C' terminal and do the same test. What you are doing is operating the point as though a press button switch is being used rather than rely on the DCC systems commands. If the points move with each dab of the wire On/Off then the decoder is working, but possibly needs setting up correctly to the DCC system.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
NedFlanders

Re: z21 and DccConcepts point decoders no longer working!

Post by NedFlanders »

Thanks for the suggestion on the individual tests - I was wondering if I could do something like that.

The decoders had been working fine for more than a year I would think, so they were configured and working for a good amount of time without issue.

From memory, 'I was operating one of the three way points and it didn't quite throw, and then it didnt respond at all. And then I realised that none of the others were responding either.

I'm suspecting the z21 and the DCCConcepts decoders have parted company in some way.

I disconnected the boards with the two three way points on them to see if it was something related to one of them and the others still ignore me.

I'm in the middle of a burst of scenification on the Diagonal boards so I'm loath to dismantle and flip one of the over to test in isolation for the moment, but as soon as I have the track areas and the cess all dealt a first layer of ground cover I will bite the bullet and take a look then.

Cheerio

ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr