Dealing with a steep incline

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kebang

Dealing with a steep incline

Post by kebang »

I'm trying to squeeze a 2 level OO gauge layout into 120cm x 105cm. The incline connecting the levels is 3.9%. If I raise the end of the layout where the incline starts by 1in The incline drops to 2.9%. The previously level track work is now at an incline of 1.6%. Has anyone tried to do this before, what are the pitfalls?
raised layout.png
raised layout.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 518 times
105x120cm OO one end raised.png
105x120cm OO one end raised.png (85.05 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Bigmet

Re: Dealing with a steep incline

Post by Bigmet »

Versions of this scheme are frequently employed, it's most effective if the same maximum gradient is employed throughout; in your case making the gradient approximately 1.3% throughout, a third the 3.9%.

Pitfalls:
Very careful construction required, from as near a true level datum as can be achieved. Don't trust the floor to be level in short...
It is inadvisable to have gradients anywhere that wagons are coaches are left, they roll away.
Uncoupling of many autocoupler systems does not work reliably on gradients.
kebang

Re: Dealing with a steep incline

Post by kebang »

Thanks Bigmet, looks like it would be possible. Another question. This layout uses a mix of R1 and R2 curves. I designed it for 0-4-0 tank locos. My daughter is now bringing me a 2-4-2 Bachmann tank loco (BACHMANN 31-171 L&YR CLASS 5). Any idea if this can cope with R1, or should I' ask her to bring me an additional loco, a 'Jinty' or similar 0-6-0 suitable for light mixed traffic, I don't really want to make the layout larger if I can avoid it.