TT scotsman has arrived

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Newtothisat52

TT scotsman has arrived

Post by Newtothisat52 »

and its running in as I'm typing this.

its only at 50% on the controller but it doesnt seem very express if you know what I mean.
Bigmet

Re: TT scotsman has arrived

Post by Bigmet »

Scale speed is not easy to judge. Regular express speed - and 90mph was the usual maximum speed the track was rated for in the steam period - is a metre every 3 seconds at 1:120.
Newtothisat52

Post by Newtothisat52 »

Bigmet wrote:Scale speed is not easy to judge. Regular express speed - and 90mph was the usual maximum speed the track was rated for in the steam period - is a metre every 3 seconds at 1:120.
well i timed it how many loops it could do in 2 mins

the loop is 12 sections or r3 curves and 8 straight sections. underestimating slightly they are 16 cm a section

so 3.2 meters

18.5*3.2= 59.2

so 59.2m in 120 seconds

a meter ever two seconds
b308

Post by b308 »

The controller is rubbish, plenty of people have posted that, get yourself a decent one from Gaugemaster!
End2end

Post by End2end »

b308 wrote:The controller is rubbish, plenty of people have posted that, get yourself a decent one from Gaugemaster!
How do you know which controller it is?
Scrap that... can I just borrow your second sight for this week's lottery numbers b308. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
b308

Post by b308 »

End2end wrote:
b308 wrote:The controller is rubbish, plenty of people have posted that, get yourself a decent one from Gaugemaster!
How do you know which controller it is?
Scrap that... can I just borrow your second sight for this week's lottery numbers b308. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?!! ;)

It's well known that the controller that comes with the set is rubbish, there's plenty of posts about it on FB, I made the assumption that they are using the one that came with the set, a reasonable assumption especially as they've said they are using the standard oval that came with it as well. Also it happens to be good advice, as using a decent controller will improve the running.

But you just continue with the sarcasm... :)
Newtothisat52

Post by Newtothisat52 »

well as I wrote, even if it doesnt look that quick, the scale speed - and i've tested a good few times now- is 120-125 mph

makes almost no odds if the loco is hauling the three coaches or not.

I expect that is the max speed of the loco- it will be intersting if Mallard cant get to 126 wont it haha
End2end

Post by End2end »

b308 wrote:Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?!! ;)
I thought the same of your reply as no controller was mentioned. :lol:
I'm not on cancel cultures beloved FB so wouldn't have seen any initial reviews of the sets on there.
And, I was joking it wasn't sarcasm. :lol:
Never mind. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
b308

Post by b308 »

From what he said the loco ran the same regardless of whether it was hauling a train or not, so it could well be the controller.

He is a new railway modeller, I was trying to help, you were just being sarcastic and dismissing my advice.
Newtothisat52

Post by Newtothisat52 »

I'm not saying anythings wrong with it, just reporting back that to my unaccustomed eyes it doesnt seem very rapid, but testing suggests a scale speed of 120-125 mph and probably a little more.
b308

Post by b308 »

That would be about right, it would slow to a more realistic speed with a full train behind it. I'll stand by what I said about the controller, though, you'll get better control from a decent controller or, if you want to go down that route, DCC, the controller that comes with the set is built down to a price.