Bachmann V2

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: Bachmann V2

Post by Bigmet »

Definite improvement over previous models of the class. Waiting for a BR late crest specimen. Thereafter, temptation may strike again, I really like the V2, such a neat looking design and so effective in service.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Now have the BR late crest liveried 60847, which is having its test running ahead of 'adjustments'. Overall everything to like about it, and the weight and sweet running promise well for traction. Very easy to remove the bulky loco to tender coupler, and there's ample space for replacement with a plain drawbar, I'll use a surplus one from a Bachmann model!

Usefully the loco runs without the tender attached, I like that. What I don't like so much is that the domestic goddess will 'disappear it' once I have finished the test running, so she has something to wrap for a certain person's birthday. (I have tried offering the empty box for this purpose before now, but strangely this doesn't meet with favour.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Tinker time has been possible on the V2 to modify it to my liking, and I am very pleased with it all around. A past good feature that has returned to Bachmann's range with this model, the coal space in the tender is fully modelled, which means you can coal it exactly as you choose. Runs and pulls well, races along at express speed with a full load. Does what an 'Arrer' should in short, bombs along the main line with a big load on.

I suspect the motor is a coreless type. Bachmann's enclosed doc. says five pole, and also states that if running DC a controller providing a smoothed supply is required, and that electronic track cleaners should not be used. The motor itself is a featureless round can, nothing like the Kader manufacture 3 pole iron core types found in most of their steam models these last 20 years...
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Hi Bigmet, I'm a bit clueless about controller types, I've just got one of these new Bachmann V2's, and I currently use an H&M Duette controller, do you happen to know if this is suitable or do I need a different type of control/not use the engine?

As a side note, the engine to tender coupling is massive, but for me I can't really notice it when it's on the track. The green is distinctly lighter than other locos I've got that are supposed to be the same colour, not too sure which I prefer. I only ran it for a few minutes as it seemed to quickly develop a bit of a rhythmical squeak, I think coming from the bogie, but not too sure. Will give it a light oiling and see if it disappears.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The output of the Duette is not smoothed. In your shoes I would put the question to Bachmann service, with the follow on 'And what DC controllers do you recommend as having a suitably smoothed output?'. That said, I gave mine its initial low speed testing on my Duette, it's my 'vanilla DC' supply, and no ill effect detected, no rattly noises, buzzing or humming, ran smoothly from a dead slow crawl straight out of the box.

The killer objection to the loco to tender link in my opinion is that it doesn't work as it should. Main count against, it positions loco and tender too far apart on straight track. The reason for these camming links is to obtain scale separation on the straight with the cam action spacing off for clearance proportional to the curve; Bachmann have failed to position the unit correctly and there's no easy way to fix this. Secondly it doesn't restore to 'all straight' after a curve if the trailing load is more than about five of their mk1 coaches (which BTW have a camming mechanism that works effectively and does restore to straight!). Since it has to drag up to 14 around on my ECML set up that's a killer even were the spacing correct.

(For all this, I really like the model; taken a while to get a decent RTR OO model of the V2, and the aspects that need work aren't too challenging. Mine is the late crest BR specimen and the paint is good, makes recent Hornby BR green look faded and worn.)

Take the pony truck off and test again to see if that's the origin of the squeak? I have put the flanged Cartazzi truck wheelset in mine, and that squeaked immediately, supplied 'dry' so no surprise there!
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

I would think any currently available controller would be appropriate provided it is not one with feedback; I have a Gaugemaster Combi for use on any layout or temprorary Kato Unitack running in oval. It is attached by Velcro to a layout as appropriate. The ouput track power cable I have ending in a phono plug which is my normal standard power connection and then a phono socketed cable to attach to that plug which also has the 16v ac ouput cables and terminates in a 4 pin DIN plug as an alternative combi ac /track power supply to a layout. My Bachmann Double Fairlie runs fine with it so I would expect the V2 to do so.
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

I'll send Bachmann an email and enquire. To be honest I forgot I'd read your post when I tried it, and so the loco did a few laps of the track using the Duette with no obvious issues, nice and smooth at slow speed and good control, but don't know if it will cause longer term damage to the loco.

I've been getting more attracted to the idea of DCC so if I was to need to change controller, I'd probably just keep the V2 in the box until I can afford to switch to DCC control, rather than upgrade my DC and then upgrade again to DCC later.

The finish on the loco is lovely, just distinctly lighter than both the Hornby and Bachmann LNER green loco's I've got.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Having regained possession of the V2, all modifications are now complete, the replacement simple drawbar screw attached to loco and tender, so it's now scale length with the fall plate on the tender step and the cab doors just clearing the tender front: this is always such an enhancement to a tender loco, no yawning gap btween cab and tender for the daredevil fireman to negiotiate. (With additionally the optional flanged rear truck wheel and cylinder drains fitted, it now needs 30" minimum radius curves, which is fine for my layout.)

Traction is exceptionally good, I haven't had to add any ballast weight to obtain the required performance of reliably starting a 2.5kg train on a 1 in 80, which is the 'worst case' scenario on the layout. (Quite how it does this remains to be determined, as it's too light at 320g on the coupled wheels to be able to do this, if the driving wheel tyres are plated as usual. Whatever, it pulls really well.) Quick too, it will go at scale for 110mph, way better than the earlier model which topped out at 75mph at 12V, way too slow for a V2. So the new model been trimmed to 100mph, and will run passenger, as will my second purchase when that comes along. (The earlier V2's will be used on freight, the fitted freights typically ran in the 50-75mph range, and they are good for that.)

Happy bunny as you can probably tell. Been a long wait for a decent V2...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Doubled up for some reason
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:... as will my second purchase when that comes along...
Come along it has, my wife having bought the 'Locomotion' museum 'as preserved' version of 60800 'Green Arrow' for me. As this was a KX pet engine, the overall finish is appropriate, I will just wipe off the OHL hazard flashes. The treatment of the smokebox front is better then that on 60847 too. Now freed from daily social events standard at this time of year(!) it has been possible to begin test running, and this one is performing as well as the earlier purchase. :D
Alanward

Post by Alanward »

Where can I get a DCC chassis for the older split chassis body? I've got 4 older ones...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Option 1, scour s/h listings for the following version that had the original body, but on an 8 pin DCC mechanism, there should by now be some available as owners chop them in for the new version. (I very much doubt Bachmann will have any spares, as this version hasn't been in production for years.)

The mounting points for the body were slightly altered, two screws one each side under the cab floor, and the frame representations at the front need to be trimmed back slightly; compare body undersides with the original version, the modifications made to the body mould tool are visible. Ten minutes work with a craft knife and a drill, I only used one of the cab end screws on mine when transferring old 'worked on' bodies that had long ago worn out their split chassis mechanisms to this mechanism.

Option 2, chop in what you have for complete new models. While the new V2 is not perfect, it leaves the earlier versions behind by a country mile, both in appearance and on track performance, and is easily worked on to make any improvements the owner considers necessary. (Or wait and see if Bachmann see the error of their ways, and improve the cab to firebox and smokebox front and door fits; and ditch the estupido camming mechanism which doesn't work properly for their class leading method of the last ten or so years: solid drawbar through the loco dragbox engaging on an under tender pin mounted on an adjustable screw locked slide.)