Class 66 not working

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
SOOTYBRUM

Class 66 not working

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Hi, my N gauge class 66 (Gaugemaster/Dapol) is no longer working. Over Xmas, my grandson dropped it onto a hard floor. Have taken body shell off and found a loose part (see photos) . I run it on DC. . Is that a DCC chip or is it a part of the loco which has become detached. I am new to N gauge. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thinking of sending it off to get it repaired if I cannot sort it.
Thanks for looking
Attachments
class 66 image 2.jpg
Clas 66 image 1.jpg
SOOTYBRUM

Re: Class 66 not working

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Now working ok.
centenary

Post by centenary »

SOOTYBRUM wrote:Now working ok.
Glad you sorted it. That's actually a 'blanking plug' which is fitted to DCC ready locos so they may run on DC. If you had wanted to run it on DCC, you'd take than plug out and fit a DCC chip in its place.
SOOTYBRUM

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Hi again, although it is running smoothly on my Kato track, when it comes to my x crossing to cross over the tracks, one of the bogies is getting derailed. .My other engines run fine over the crossing. Is it possible to remove the bogies? I cannot find my instruction manual and online there is only a one page sheet on oiling and dcc operation. Is it a simple job of pulling them off the body?
centenary

Post by centenary »

SOOTYBRUM wrote:Hi again, although it is running smoothly on my Kato track, when it comes to my x crossing to cross over the tracks, one of the bogies is getting derailed. .My other engines run fine over the crossing. Is it possible to remove the bogies? I cannot find my instruction manual and online there is only a one page sheet on oiling and dcc operation. Is it a simple job of pulling them off the body?
Try checking the back to back of the wheels on the bogie that is derailing. You might find that's the issue and not have to remove the body. Unless something in the chassis is affecting the bogie movement, you might find one axle set has been knocked by the fall.
SOOTYBRUM

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Unscrewed the bogie slightly, then tightened screw and it now seems to run ok in one direction over the crossing. Thks for advice. Brgds and a Happy New Year to you.