Hornby Flying Scotsman R3991

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
centenary

Hornby Flying Scotsman R3991

Post by centenary »

How good is this model?

Thinking of buying one new and for a lot less than the RRP of £253. It is still in stock with shops although I gather the production run may have ended.

Still only 8 pin DCC socket which is a little disappointing but for a kettle, I dont think that's a big issue. This version has a diecast chassis. Mick and Richard of HM did a review of it a little while ago and seemed to think it was a good model.

Thoughts?
Bigmet

Re: Hornby Flying Scotsman R3991

Post by Bigmet »

It's as good a Gresley A1 or A3 - whichever this specific model represents - as can be got in RTR OO (big choice of Hornby alone as the manufacturer!). They look and measure well, and run smoothly and quietly in my experience. There are improvements that can be made if you are keen: perhaps the greatest, there's a gap where very solid frames should be immediately to the rear of the cylinders. A small piece of plasticard glued in fixes that.
centenary

Re: Hornby Flying Scotsman R3991

Post by centenary »

Sadly, decided not to buy this as the intended gift, wifey needs a new mobi.

If anyone is interested, the model is in stock (5) and available DCC ready for £190 plus postage from Bure Valley

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/20380 ... g-Scotsman