Juddery drive for the Peco turntable

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
trailman

Juddery drive for the Peco turntable

Post by trailman »

I've built the Peco 00 turntable for my layout, pretty well I thought, and I've attached the PL-55 motor to it, but the result is a very juddery drive - not fit for purpose really as I can't guarantee it will stop in the right place. What to do now? Peco have sent me a spare set of the struts, but I'm worried that the same thing will happen again.
Bigmet

Re: Juddery drive for the Peco turntable

Post by Bigmet »

With the motor unit completely removed, how does the turntable move with a typical loco on it? Hold one end of a 6" long pencil and with the pencil vertical move the bridge by pushing at one end, both directions. If the movement is anything but smooth, then the build needs to be attended to. That's part one, and is fundamental: there's more relating to the motor unit mounting and the intended load.

Peco don't stress enough that the turntable well has to be constructed as a 'right cylinder', if the model is to work well. I have built a couple, and had to send for a replacement segment on the first one, as it was not true and square. (The bridge is a way superior piece, practically falls together, rare to have trouble there.)
trailman

Post by trailman »

Thanks Bigmet, it's nearly smooth but not quite so this might be the root of the issue. I can't see any other way out now than to start again from scratch, and that includes the bridge, for everything is cemented into place. Or am I missing something?
I might even be tempted to find a kit builder as this is the one element I don't want to go wrong.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That sounds hopeful, if it is just one location to sort out.

First check while in its layout position, that the bridge is truly horizontal throughout it's rotation, using a foot long spirit level. If it isn't, correction may be possible, and where it deviates most from horizontal is likely to be where the the lack of smoothness occurs. Can be anything from easing the accomodating hole, or rotating the well in the hole, and slight packing or reduction of the baseboard under the well rim. It's likely to be quite subtle, and I would suggest the time spent experimenting is worthwhile, as there's nothing to lose in doing it.

Also worth trying to release the bridge with the unit out of the layout. (The better arrangement is not to have it retained, then it rides a little higher on the contact springs and does 'the rock' of a balance table as a loco moves on and off.)

A truly good RTP model of the standard 70' maximum size UK TT is an item 'gone missing'. It might have been feasible while manufacture in China was still cheap, too late now...