Old timer trying DCC ???

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
inoffapost

Re: Old timer trying DCC ???

Post by inoffapost »

I started in 2018 again after a 50 year 'pause'. Clearly, things had changed. After some research I was bitten by the DCC bug. Starting from scratch again it made sense, well, to me anyway. I opted for the Roco z21 control system and I am very happy with it to date. I got it as part of a Roco starter set which was all HO gauge of course. I use the HO track as my programming track now as I opted for OO Peco stuff which I got a stack of on E-bay, most of it almost new.
Even the German locomotive, a handy BoBo 211 series has been repurposed in a new livery as a shunter and very good it is too! So the starter set at 240 quid was a boon.

The z21 is incredibly easy to use, which until now I have with the MultiMaus handset which came with the set. My layout has 21 sets of points half of which are now digitised and all operational from the handset, as well as the 10 locomotives I now have.

I surprised myself with how 'into' I have become. I'm just upgrading now to the Roco z21 app and will henceforth operate the layout from a tablet over the WLAN which will afford much more operational flexibility. The remaining points are due to go DCC shortly and I am just assessing which multiple point decoder to use and which point motors. I guess if I can live long enough I'll install sound on the locomotives, but the fun for me is operating the layout and running the trains. I can't stress enough how much of a novice I was and still am compared to the wealth of experience here on this forum, but I love the hobby to the extent that I have taught myself to do things I would never have dreamed of attempting beforehand. I'm an addict!

Good luck with the hobby and don't be afraid to ask. Such incredible support,help, advice and inspiration on here!
Oletimer

Re: Old timer trying DCC ???

Post by Oletimer »

I apologise for my delay in replying, I have been off-hooks for a few days.

It never fails to surprise me how many helpful and knowledgeable people we have in our forum,
I am truly grateful for your time, help and hints to get me going.

Before I forget: I took delivery of my long awaited NCE Starter Kit today and read it twice.
It if all goes as simply as it appears I will be a very chappie.

Now awaiting a couple of decoders.

I have made inroads re: sorting out the wiring to make sure of positive electrical contacts - I'm glad I don't have to do it everyday haha, but it's good practice. Also: once I sorted out the short on a set of points, suddenly had running trains, that was nice. (A single strand of wire caused me so much hassle)

Not quite sure what I am going to do all my non DCC trains, don't fancy converting all of them.

Shall wish you all well, I have a train to catch...
George (Oletimer)
If it ain't broke, don't FIX it.