About time for some new steam traction announcements

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

About time for some new steam traction announcements

Post by Bigmet »

Now I may be wrong - not paying fullest attention to manufacturer announcements - but Bachmann appear to have no OO standard gauge steam traction announced. There's just the TMC commission of the G5 to deliver (and very good too based on the samples shown).

Winter announcement due soon, here's hoping. And I am hopeful, as when I wrote to Bachmann critiquing the loco to tender linkage provided on their recent retooled release of the V2 (summary, it fails on every criterion for such a device, and is unfit for what is otherwise a superior OO model, why on earth use this when the previous connector is the best available in RTR OO?) the reply concluded with we will review application of this device on future tender loco models.

Possibly that 'future' was a just a slip on ther keyboard, but ...:D
Bigmet

Re: About time for some new steam traction announcements

Post by Bigmet »

No newly tooled OO steamer, but some compensation, their very fine Thompson gangwayed coaches at last released in BR maroon. Huzzah! A problem solved, something to provide birthday presents. (I am 'difficult to find gifts for according to family members, it's great to have a solution.)
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bachmann winter announcements : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUnmU1aiWc
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

The last all new steam engine from Bachmann was the Midland 1P? Everything else I can think of is commissions and "yet another rehash of an existing model"
centenary

Post by centenary »

BR reverse colour scheme Western Pulman, RRP £750? Yikes! :o
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:The last all new steam engine from Bachmann was the Midland 1P? Everything else I can think of is commissions and "yet another rehash of an existing model"
And only one steam loco commission yet to go on sale, the G5 for TMC?
centenary wrote:BR reverse colour scheme Western Pullman, RRP £750?
Small volume production run to milk the last possible sales from the tooling?

I still feel the BP was a poor investment, because of the very limited interest; few routes, short time in operation: while the HST was and remains an open goal for a model to this standard. Used across the UK for over forty years, liveries aplenty, never previously available as complete box sets, so there's no trouble obtaining a full formation...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The Blue Pullman seems to generate interest out of curiosity. Going around an exhibition whilst sons were just about teenagers they came back to tell me they had found a Pullman version of the HST. I told them what it was and once at home showed them the video of the newsreel released at launch, (starts in true 1960 style with at least a minute of action before the opening titles). Their reaction "Wow, but why did it go that route to get from Manchester to London" que explanation of the first WCML upgrade including the various routes used to avoid New Street.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote:BR reverse colour scheme Western Pulman, RRP £750? Yikes! :o
A friend drew my attention earlier today to Accurascale's recent announcement of a rather funky modern Irish MU model. This runs to 700 Euro for the six car set with DCC sound, very much the same territory.

This is what it is going to cost from China. The brand managements would be mad not be at least researching the next lower cost manufacturing opportunities.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote:
A friend drew my attention earlier today to Accurascale's recent announcement of a rather funky modern Irish MU model. This runs to 700 Euro for the six car set with DCC sound, very much the same territory.

This is what it is going to cost from China. The brand managements would be mad not be at least researching the next lower cost manufacturing opportunities.
I fully appreciate the associated costs with OO scale models and people thinking they should be able to buy a modern, detailed model should be cheap as chips. I dread to think what the equivalent cost would be today that my mum and dad paid to get me a brand new Hornby Dublo 3 rail coco diesel 'Deltic' around 63 -64ish? Dad was self employed and struggled to make ends meet but it was only years later I learnt this.

Not sure if the Bachmann Pulman is fully sound DCC for the price, if not, even for today's market, Id say it's ludicrously priced. Personally, Id have thought the original blue \ white livery would have a higher demand. Always lusted after the Tri-ang blue Pulman but was incompatible with what I had as a child and waning model railway interest.

The danger with finding the next lower manufacturing cost is that it coincides with poorer finish and quality.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote:...The danger with finding the next lower manufacturing cost is that it coincides with poorer finish and quality.
Just have to wait and see on that, for whichever brand feels bold enough to move out of China. Current manufacturing packages take a lot of the risk out of such a move, provided there's reliable power supply, which latter is now an issue in China.
centenary wrote:...Not sure if the Bachmann Pulman is fully sound DCC for the price, if not, even for today's market, Id say it's ludicrously priced. Personally, Id have thought the original blue \ white livery would have a higher demand...
If memory serves, the original livery Midland Pullman currently available is listed at £600 DCC ready, while the Western Pullman at £750 has sound in both power cars. If I wanted a BP, the s/h listings would be my 'go to'. Johnny Ninethumbs is so helpful when it comes to making savings.
Boksonay

Post by Boksonay »

Bigmet wrote:

I know Sterling isn't doing terribly well, but you can order the 6 vehicle, really high spec Multiple unit for £598, inc VAT and delivery in the Uk https://www.accurascale.com/collections ... und-fitted, making the BP 25% more expensive than the new tooled accurascale unit. (and you get stay alive, speakers, and a lot of 'stuff' on board too (and a free scufort loco tractor for shunting diormas)