Heljan OO Class 25

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Chops

Heljan OO Class 25

Post by Chops »

So, I paid up for a new Heljan Class 25. I figured you get what you pay for. A beautiful piece, quiet and smooth running, patting myself on the back, and it shuddered to a standstill making crackling sounds, as one would expect with a split gear after less than an hour. I recall it was about 150 BPS, plus international shipping. Does anyone suggest where I might send it for repair? Not something I care to attempt, myself.
Nessie rocks!
Bufferstop

Re: Heljan OO Class 25

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Chops if you were in the UK the answer would be "straight back to the dealer" they are legally responsible for ensuring that it is fit for purpose. Something that doesn't appear to be there in US law. Given the situation and location I would suggest contact the UK retailer, explain what has happened and ask them what they can do. I suspect it will be a case of return it to them and they will refund the postage when they can either repair or replace it. If you don't want to return it ask them for the parts needed to repair it and look for a competent repairer in your area. A MR club is probably the best place to look for someone with the skill to do it, unless you are blessed with the sort of model shop that has all but disappeared around here.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This is the first report I have seen of the Heljan 25 in a customer's hands. That makes the availability of spares potentially problematic. Return to retailer for exchange probably the best course...
Chops

Post by Chops »

I will look into it.
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And now: the Heljan 25/3 has been released. Looks decent, except for a decidedly poor finish on some weathered versions which Ben Jones (Heljan UK representative) has acknowledged is a problem, and asked that any that are not satisfactory are returned.

Heljan have altered the mechanism construction slightly from the pattern of all their previous 'full width body' twin bogie models, as first seen in OO on their class 47 in 2021. Lighter due to less metal in the chassis block casting - you can see the motor! - and this apparently makes more space for speaker installation; the driveline and clip together bogie assembly appear to be of their standard design. (So perhaps their Baby Deltics will be the all time heavyweight OO BoBo diesel model; 505g or pound two ounces whichever you prefer, just don't drop it on your foot.)

Edited to correct a 'brain fart'.
Last edited by Bigmet on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The lack of the bodywork framing angled across the largest grilles is making me think the forthcoming SLW one is worth waiting for/ the extra £. Its a bit odd given they have included it on the smaller grilles
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I would do the same if a key feature that's not right was going to jab me in the eye and say that's not right, every time the model went past. Handy that you have a choice on the class 25/3 with the SLW version coming fairly soon, and a scheduled new version from Bachmann.

I have said 'no thanks' to two diesel models on the same 'just doesn't look right' grounds: the original Heljan Brush type 4 - it was too wide and looked it, unlike the real thing which was all 'neat, slim and trim' beside the other 'bulky' type 4 and 5 locos at Kings Cross - and Hornby's Brush type 2 with the incorrectly positioned cab side windows which robbed it of the essential character of the class (writing here as one who saw them run along platforms on suburban services more time than I can count).

So I waited. The Brush 4 was a wait of 6 years (Bachmann) not perfect but has the essential character, and I am still waiting on the Brush 2! Though a recent photo has me thinking that Hornby may have at last made a correction; but I am not buying until I can get up close and physically inspect it. (I have mazak rotted Hornby Brush 2 mechanisms obtained cheaply s/h which run beautifully, powering old Airfix GMR body shells which fully capture the narrower top half of the cab, so there's no urgency.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The thing that made the Heljan 47 look very wide is the fact the Lima (now Hornby 47) is too narrow. Put against one of the correct width the Heljan one is less over wide and I discovered on mine that could be visbly reduced by shaving flash off the sides of the metal chassis block and reducing the width of the cab inserts which were making the body sides take on a dumbbell shape.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote:The thing that made the Heljan 47 look very wide is the fact the Lima (now Hornby 47) is too narrow...
Not in my case, never owned or even ever handled a Lima 47. The old Heljan 47 just looks wrong as the cab sides are more oblique in plan than they should be, as it spreads to decidedly overwidth along the bodyside. I had several to look at as three friends bought them, very enthused by the running qualities, and I had a happy time doing the running in, with adjustments to cure the draggy drive lines endemic in the early product. I was a little disappointed as I like centre motor drivelines, and Heljan's is a goodun, but reasoned that a competitor would emerge. Not only did it emerge, but the launch offering was the very one I wanted, D1500, as first seen humming away at KX, which is the only one I needed, and at only £40. The appearance of D1500 signalled the end of steam on the East Coast, so it brings down the curtain on my layout's cycle through time from 'all steam' to THE END.

The initial price of the Bachmann 47 told me that Heljan must have cleaned up on this model, got a 6 year unopposed run at 'the' BR big diesel; such that Bachmann felt it necessary to offer such a good price to break Heljan's hold. I should think that good commercial start for Heljan in the UK bankrolled what came after. For which I expect many of us have reason to be grateful, as Heljan's range of prototype and minor BR diesel classes covers subjects that back in the early 2000's were thought to be in the 'no one is going to make a RTR model of that' category.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I got tempted by a flash sale and bought one in green with FYE. My advice would be to avoid these, the front is far too flat and just looks wrong. Also an airtank is molded into the chassis and gets in the way of the coupling socket and makes trainset curves an issue, as does the buffer beam with all its fittings. I personally would buy a Sutton version which is just sublime, or even one of the older Bachmann 25s are better. Another miss for Heljan sadly.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The lack of any body framing being visible through the large side grille as well puts me off them - something that their new 45 also suffers from.