Wagon Respray

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

Wagon Respray

Post by Richard08 »

The poor old Mink had no takers on eBay, so not quite having the heart to consign it to the never-to-been-seen-again box in eves I had look on Paul Bartlett's excellent wagon site, which came to the rescue. There's a photo of an unmolested one in 1978 - still in some sort of use by the look of it.

So, from this (I was so careful with the white roof!
DSC01472.resized.JPG
Via this, BR early freight grey (which, to my surprise, covered the transfers with one coat)
DSC01475.resized.JPG
To this, Dark Rust, Frame Dirt, Matt Black (diluted) and Sleeper Grime, put on with a very dry brush. The roof is Roof Dirt. All the brush strokes vertical or stippling. Maybe of use to someone...
DSC01483.resized.JPG
This is my first go at a, well, scrapper finish. It's also the first using paint throughout, the chalks are eyeing me suspiciously from their corner. I have some BR era transfers to go on, but the photo example has no markings at all...
Richard08

Re: Wagon Respray

Post by Richard08 »

After a lot of staring I decided the door stood out a bit, so now they don't. I've decided to add the transfers since I had them anyway. When the transfers are dry a little blending in to match the general decrepitude, then a matt varnish and an unintended extra wagon goes on the layout.
DSC01485.resized.JPG
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Very Nice, I have a real soft spot for iron minks.
Luckily I do later GWR period, so more left around then
although as to condition ? Probably quite similar.
Just the thing for some forgotten corner.

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote:Very Nice, I have a real soft spot for iron minks.
Luckily I do later GWR period, so more left around then
although as to condition ? Probably quite similar.
Just the thing for some forgotten corner.

Geoff T.
Thank you. Yes, the hanging around thing is probably going to be it's fate. But then again, it's growing on me now...
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I would out of sheer curiosity try it on Ebay again in its new colour, but then you wont have your lovely wagon. Nice work!
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Mountain wrote:I would out of sheer curiosity try it on Ebay again in its new colour, but then you wont have your lovely wagon. Nice work!
It would be interesting... I might list it and see what happens.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Richard08 wrote:
Mountain wrote:I would out of sheer curiosity try it on Ebay again in its new colour, but then you wont have your lovely wagon. Nice work!
It would be interesting... I might list it and see what happens.
Is just my curiosity. :D

Livery can be a strange thing.

I remember when I decided to model BR instead of GWR in 00 gauge, and some items that did not sell, I repainted into BR livery colours. I painted a Mainline bogie bolster wagon and thought nothing of it.
Then years later went to sell some of my collection in a toy and train fair, and the numbers of people that rushed to look at that one boxed wagon like it was some sort of "Key" missing collectors piece... When I said it was a repaint they lost interest though, so it could be the collectors that were looking for a rare find?
(I am not interested in the collectors side as though I hardly run my trains at all these days, my heart is in building things ad running them when I am in the right mood. (I get what I call "Modelling season" where I do nothing else and am full into it, and then I don't and go for a while with other things. Always loved my trains though so always thinking train related thoughts, but noticed these modelling seasons and while I have certainly collected models, it was never really intended for them to stay in the box even though sometimes they do).

Bt yes. It is surprizing what a livery change can do when it comes to the sales attractveness of a model, as though that GWR livery looks supurb (And your modelling skills in both liveries are supurb), to a BR modeller, they stick to BR livery if they can. (Fewer GWR modellers about these days than in the past).
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Mountain wrote: Bt yes. It is surprizing what a livery change can do when it comes to the sales attractveness of a model, as though that GWR livery looks supurb (And your modelling skills in both liveries are supurb), to a BR modeller, they stick to BR livery if they can. (Fewer GWR modellers about these days than in the past).
Well I've listed it, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I had a bit of a preconception that pre and grouping modellers tend to be not that into weathering (just observation of layouts on the web) whereas BR types are more likely, as you say, to want weathering (at extremist levels in some cases) - some adjusted thinking from me required I suspect. I sell some wagons I make to part-fund buying more, I like making them, it is far from being a profitable exercise, but I do get to make wagons that interest me but I'd not want on my layout. I remember way back when when Railway Modeller dipped it's toe into weathering (early 70s) and the reactions (on the Letters page, ah the good old days of yore ;-) ) were 'interesting'. Certainly much younger me was aghast that anyone would want to 'wreck' their brand new shiny engine or stock. It's only recently that I've got to grips with the fact that if it does come out awful (so far so good) all I'd have to do respray or wash off the chalks and start over - that's made me a lot braver. So far I've avoided brake dust on unfitted wagons, unlike one of the manufacturers...