New wheels for older Hornby/Triang coaches?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Mountain

Re: New wheels for older Hornby/Triang coaches?

Post by Mountain »

You maybe just about able to see the red drinks straw spacers on the outsides of the wheels. The Romford 10.5mm wheels which matched the old wheels in size were simply slid along using the old Triang axles.
Attachments
IMG_20171002_192016.jpg
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

I know this is an old topic but I have on old Hornby SR R 933 , it has square axels , is it possible to replace these with round axels and better wheels
DSCN0020.jpg
DSCN0020.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Cheers
Daryll
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Daryll wrote:I know this is an old topic but I have on old Hornby SR R 933 , it has square axels , is it possible to replace these with round axels and better wheels Cheers
Daryll
Yes it is. The newer Hornby replacement 12mm disc wheels R8096 will work just fine. Don't use the Hornby 14mm coach wheels though as they are too big for your older coach.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

Hi GeraldH just found this thread, would the 12mm replacements be better for the plastic wheels fitted to my old Hornby Class 101 DMU ( R157 ). Thanks in advance :)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

R157. Isn't that a Triang or a Triang/Hornby DMU? The dummy end can have its wheels replaced if one does not mind going without a working headcode light.
See how I have changed wheels on Triang wagons. (Can't recall how the wheels are as been a long time before I had one. If they have pinpoint axles they are even easier to change. The power car needs a lot more thought).
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

For Triang and Triang-Hornby stock the nominal 12mm wheel fits both wagons and coaches, 14mm coach wheels raise the body, and the couplers too high. The old split axle wheel sets were about 10mm diameter but the flanges were so deep there was enough clearance to fit 14mm wheels but the greater diameter raises them too much. When Triang started fitting 12mm wheels it put the buffer height 1.5mm too high. They never changed it. It was only with the introduction of all Chinese designed and built models that they corrected it and started using 14mm wheels under coaches.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions