Newest Ed. of Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue ?

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
End2end

Newest Ed. of Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue ?

Post by End2end »

Can someone tell me. what it the most recent edition number of the Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue please?

And would this be the best way to find say, all A4's up until now from Hornby and Bachman for example?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Re: Newest Ed. of Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue ?

Post by Bigmet »

Most recent is 9th edition pub 2016, so by now well out of date...

I only know this because a 'new starter' wanted one about seven years past, and waited for this 9th edition to come out. Now at that time it was said that this would probably be the last in print as the compilation effort had been very time consuming, and the costs were going beyond any reasonable expectation of a book sale price. Various thoughts and suggestions about online updates, but that carries expense, and how do you get the money out of those that say they want it?
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thank you for the reply Bigmet. Yes that's a little too old for my needs.
I do have the Bachmann Branchline Pocket Guide but that's not really any help either. There's no 64XX's listed in the book for example.

Is there possibly an up to date searchable online database/website of 00 models from different manufacturers?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:...Is there possibly an up to date searchable online database/website of 00 models from different manufacturers?...
Let's hope that if 'someone' knows of such a thing, they will let us in on the secret; I certainly haven't found it!

I use the various active model railway websites when the need for such a search comes up, but it is far from complete - earliest effective start dates are now around 2005 - and coverage is patchy and variable in quality.

Bachmann UK until about 2012 supported an enthusiast's voluntary compilation of all their OO releases, downloadable as a PDF from their website. They no longer offer this, but 'someone' may have downloaded the PDF and be able to provide access. (I did a couple of searches for this PDF and didn't find it, but it turned up a far less detailed compilation on wikipedia, I should think there will be similar for Hornby)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachmann_Branchline
End2end

Post by End2end »

I managed to lay my hand on a pdf yesterday. Is this the one you mean Bigmet?
https://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/ ... v%2011.pdf

Unfortunately as you mention, the pdf is no longer updated.
I looked for a specific item number for a 64XX and it is not listed on there so it must be a newer model.
I also looked on the wikipedia link and cannot seem to find it there either.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's the one! Good for Lendons, never thought of looking there, yet I know their useful stash of assembly diagrams very well.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for clarifying Bigmet. :wink:
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Hornby Guide is pretty good for models produced, R numbers liveries etc, however they gave very limited information about the model, and lots about the prototype for some reason. Pity nobody has done something similar for other manufacturers.
http://www.hornbyguide.com/
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks D605Eagle. I'll have a peruse through that site.

Just for completeness, here is the Hornby guide web address if anyone else wants to take a look - http://www.hornbyguide.com/
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:... Pity nobody has done something similar for other manufacturers.
This leads to the brutal question 'Where's the money in it?'

Why did Bachmann cease hosting that useful enthusiast compilation of their productions? My answer would have to be 'I don't know'. However, I am prepared to make a guess based on my own experience in business: "What's that doing for our bottom line? Nothing! Get rid.". (Subtext: we want customers purchasing our new productions, rather than helped to find something s/h that brings us no profit.)

Hornby hopefully have information on their enthusiast collector following that suggests there is value to them in a previous product list, as a form of customer engagement. Cynically, I have to say that Hornby's past management performance doesn't suggest to me that this will have been carefully assessed, and the new team may in time reach different conclusions, of the 'no sentiment' persuasion...

Now who has a significant commercial interest here, regarding RTR model railway market past products? It's got to be those dealing in s/h. They wil have the knowledge to compile such a past products guide: but they are going to keep it inside their own heads, because it's an advantage in their trading; what to buy at what price, and the right selling prices, especially for the premium items...
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bigmet wrote:What's that doing for our bottom line? Nothing! Get rid.". (Subtext: we want customers purchasing our new productions, rather than helped to find something s/h that brings us no profit.)
I was pondering on the exact same thing yesterday.
Manufacturers want you to buy NEW models.

The irony in this case is I do actually want to buy a new loco but I want to make sure I have the latest all-singing, all-dancing DCC-able version.

Life.
It's a strange old game! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:...The irony in this case is I do actually want to buy a new loco but I want to make sure I have the latest all-singing, all-dancing DCC-able version...
If this is an A4, as mentioned in your first post, Hornby all the way*. Body shape and variations - both locos and tenders - best ever, mechanism well proven and reliable, DCC ready, pretty much all the practical detail that can be put on a RTR 4mm model. (Not seen an all metal body A4 from their 'Hornby-Dublo' lookalike range yet. I certainly want one of those, waiting for a double chimney BR late crest version release.)

*This is not to suggest that this model is 'perfect', it is comfortably beaten in several respects by later introductions, beginning with the Britannia, and up to the late crest W1 which is my most recent Hornby purchase. But it's good as it stands, and improvements can be made by the modeller as required. On my 2004/5 purchases I have majored on: putting a light blocker in to eliminate a gaping hole where continuous frames should be (a defect still present on the W1!), spring on bogie pillar, improving motor anchorage, wiring to pick up to eliminate current path through chassis block, extra weight - there's bags of space - for traction, altering the trailing truck arrangements so they run with flanged wheelsets, correct loco to tender spacing, removing unnecessary tender pick ups to eliminate drag, various minor detail bits and pieces. Some of these items may by now have been dealt with by Hornby, but I haven't worked on any since the first round of releases...

The only other contender is the Bachmann (when a batch is produced). It's OK, but limited by the original Trix body tooling, a model way ahead of the competition for appearance when first released around 50 years ago, well off the pace now, and restricts the variations possible. (Some idea of how well regarded the Trix bodies were is that early P4 advertising featured the Trix A3 and A4, rewheeled to demonstrate how good an all true scale 4mm model could look.)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Oh no Bigmet, funny enough I was just using the A4 as an example of a loco that both Hornby and Bachmann have produced and maybe found in a possible complete guide for both manufacturers.
I already bought my A4. Stunning model. :mrgreen:

The research was to see which is the most recent tooling / model and specifications of a GWR 64xx and for anything else that I came upon really.
Now I know it to be a 0-6-0PT as well as a 64xx.
I'm rubbish at all these loco class numbers, I really am. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

A 64xx is simple. The sole RTR OO model that's available is by Bachmann, fairly recent introduction so likely to be good, don't recall seeing any howls of protest.
https://albionyard.com/2015/04/02/panni ... -the-64xx/

If you want a good all around reference to steam locos in BR days, then Hugh Longworth's compilation, 'BR steam locomotives 1948 - 1968', pub. OPC, ISBN 0 86093 593 0 covers all 20076 that came into BR's possession and the following saga of introductions and withdrawals to the end of steam. Not cheap but I have had a huge amount of use out of it over the 16+ years since it solved the annual 'Christmas present dilemma' for my wife.
End2end

Post by End2end »

As the linked article is dated 2015 and shows the green GWR 31-635 (Running No.6407) can I ask...

Are the green 31-635A (Running No. 6424) and green 31-635B (Running No. 6414) loco's (not in the article) newer than the original 31-653 (6407) ?

And have these 2 models (31-635 A and B) been retooled at all since the original 31-635 (6407) was released ?,
as the article states...
"The core dimensions of body and chassis are correct, with one noticeable omission. The main wheel splashers are too large which does draw attention to the wheels looking a bit too small for them. The Bachmann splasher encroaches roughly three quarters of the way into the space between running plate and tank underside, where it should be closer to half way."
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building