First attempt at weathering and loads

What are you up to on your workbench
bbdave

First attempt at weathering and loads

Post by bbdave »

I had a bash today with some powders and making some loads for my wagons I usually model plastic kits so this is a little new I want to weather my loco so this is a little practice. I've used hairspray and humbrol matt to fix the powders I'll see how they hold up to handling.
16646497510091.jpg
16646497379760.jpg
Dave
End2end

Re: First attempt at weathering and loads

Post by End2end »

Nice and dirty. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
gromit54

Post by gromit54 »

They look really good, like the loads in the wagons too.
For as first attempt they are spot on.
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Nicely done. I like that you've kept it relatively understated, there's always an urge to way overdo it (or is that just me?). Before you attempt an engine have a look at a lot of photos of the real thing in the condition you are aiming for, it all to easy to finish up modelling someone else's model rather than the real thing.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

@Richard08, good advice in all aspects of modelling, study the prototype, only use other models as a guide to how it might be done.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:... study the prototype...
That's the one.

The load now.
That's a nice shiny coal, and very well graded. It wasn't always like that, mixed, with everything from shiny to a duller appearance, and a lot of size variation is possible.
Outside war time traffic when shifting the maximum per train was the objective, it would be very rare to see wagons so full, which would exceed the nominal 12 ton capacity, or even the 13T that government 'uprating' instituted. The usual load was well under the nominal capacity, about two thirds to three quarters the wagon depth the usual thing .
The shape of the load, usually a rounded peak or two, very rarely levelled.
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

Bigmet wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:... study the prototype...
That's the one.

The load now.
That's a nice shiny coal, and very well graded. It wasn't always like that, mixed, with everything from shiny to a duller appearance, and a lot of size variation is possible.
Outside war time traffic when shifting the maximum per train was the objective, it would be very rare to see wagons so full, which would exceed the nominal 12 ton capacity, or even the 13T that government 'uprating' instituted. The usual load was well under the nominal capacity, about two thirds to three quarters the wagon depth the usual thing .
The shape of the load, usually a rounded peak or two, very rarely levelled.
I used pictures of loaded wagons in coal yars for the fill level and distribution i assumed they'd be OK.

Dave
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bbdave wrote:I used pictures of loaded wagons in coal yards for the fill level and distribution. I assumed they'd be OK.
And they are fine, in representing what you have seen in those pictures. Keep on looking at protoype pictures to guide your work.

I like my locos and vehicles showing some of the damage they received in operation, and in my youth when exhibiting was still something I enjoyed, kept the photos to hand for the viewer who challenged a bent handrail, dented panel, missing dome cover, smashed sheeting, out in service.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

bbdave wrote:
I used pictures of loaded wagons in coal yars for the fill level and distribution i assumed they'd be OK.

Dave
How wagons were loaded very much depends on what with. Coal varied in size form 'coffee beans' for small auto-feed boilers (I rented a house with one, cost a bloody fortune to run!) to huge chunks to be broken up by the coal merchant as they required. A ton of 'coffee beans' takes up a lot less space than a ton the large stuff. Wagons would be loaded to max weight if at all possible, but never over. Equally, a tippler loaded with 'boulders' (e.g. Angerstein Warf for the Thames Barrier build) would be loaded up the top, whereas a tippler loaded with scalpings would be only 3/4 full - and a nice 'dome' where it was loaded by conveyor from above. There would be significant settling of the load as the train went along, so what left the colliery would appear quite different on arrival at the destination. There is no right or wrong (within reason), stick with your prototype photos not 'the lore'. Bye the bye, it was ultimately up to the Guard to decide if the wagon was good to go, if it looked like the load might spill the wagon would be taken out of the train - and get a Form 1 if they didn't and a spilled load caused some incident. The same applied to sheets, ropes and chains (and doors!). In my view you have the right idea - stick with it!