Hornby, including Oxford Rail, Lima, Rivarossi, etc.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Hornby, including Oxford Rail, Lima, Rivarossi, etc.

Post by Bigmet »

Not unexpected, since Hornby acquired this small range, and the founder of it as MD. It was good while it lasted...
https://cdn.uk.exponea.com/hornby-prod/ ... dium=email
Bufferstop

Re: Hornby, including Oxford Rail, Lima, Rivarossi, etc.

Post by Bufferstop »

The question is now, will there be any further development of the Oxford range? It has no special character or area of interest, Was this the reason for Oxford Rail being created in the first place, who knows, will we ever find out?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Bufferstop wrote:The question is now, will there be any further development of the Oxford range? It has no special character or area of interest, Was this the reason for Oxford Rail being created in the first place, who knows, will we ever find out?
My guess is that they will absorb the small selection of rail models into the main Hornby range, and keep the Oxford brand for the die cast road range.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:The question is now, will there be any further development of the Oxford range? It has no special character or area of interest...
Koff! All the railway company wagons and 50% of the loco subjects from the LNER or constituents thereof. Outstanding character!
luckymucklebackit wrote:My guess is that they will absorb the small selection of rail models into the main Hornby range, and keep the Oxford brand for the die cast road range...
Pretty much a racing certainty; the J27, N7, wagons, all very neatly integrate into Hornby's range; those two locos fill significant gaps due to Hornby's big engine obsession, and the wagons will enhance Hornby's range, which is cluttered with many poor old wagon toolings, some of which can now be 'offed' in favour of the OR items. (OR may well have tooled more wagons than Hornby did over the 8 years since they started? Anyone keep a count?) We'll likely see little to no more of the OR versions of the Radial tank, Dean goods, mk3 coaches, since Hornby have their own already?

Road vehicle rationalisation opportunity? I know nothing...
Bufferstop wrote:...Was this the reason for Oxford Rail being created in the first place, who knows, will we ever find out?
Suspicions that this might be a stalking horse project were voiced very early after their announcement of entry to RTR OO in 2014. Hornby had majorly messed up over the 2012 Olympics, and Lyndon Davies has made no secret of his wish to control a significant part of the UK branded diecast model and toy industry, and when economically viable to restore manufacture to the UK.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Weasel words in italics? Sounds noble but is hardly a commitment. Favourable conditions is open to wide interpretation.
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

From the USA.Hornby ad - wagon 12 sterling. Hattons - same wagon - 10 sterling. I think it's obvious where this is going. Only good thing would be if Hornby could revive the late, lamented Gooper Craft.

George
North Carolina
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hornby has a history to both live up to and live down. Its current management is probably the best it has had for a long time, or at least the most committed to the product. Lets see what they can achieve.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

George Stein wrote:From the USA.Hornby ad - wagon 12 sterling. Hattons - same wagon - 10 sterling. I think it's obvious where this is going. Only good thing would be if Hornby could revive the late, lamented Gooper Craft.
On the first piece, 'the customers' drove that. For some years there has been very visible trading of new releases at much inflated prices over retail. It's not just Hornby, other brands have jacked up their prices, and (I am of the opinion) reduced volumes. What business wouldn't want the same return from a smaller production run (especially now with supply constraint in China) if there's a proven market segment throwing cash around to enable this?

And on the second piece, no way it would achieve target margin that Hornby want. Peco or Dapol might be able to do it, but I doubt that it is sufficiently appealing, the volume just isn't there.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

At the moment, retailers with existing model railway stock still have it at 'Oxford' prices. If there's anyone thinking about one of these, it might pay to buy now; because at half the price of similar Hornby product, an adverse 'correction' is likely.