How to determine 2nd hand loco is actually DCC fitted?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
centenary

How to determine 2nd hand loco is actually DCC fitted?

Post by centenary »

Apart from taking the body off and looking, is there a quick, easy and safe way to determine if a loco has a DCC chip installed without damaging components in it and your DCC system?

Might seem a strange question as you'd expect the seller to know, wouldnt you?

But what if the seller advertise it as DCC fitted and it isnt? You'd just plonk it on your DCC enabled track to read the chip but, if there's no chip in the loco, will putting it on a DCC enabled track, even a test track damage the DC components in it?
Mountain

Re: How to determine 2nd hand loco is actually DCC fitted?

Post by Mountain »

It would need to be on a DCC test track for a long time to damage it. The other thing is that it will not give a decoder reading and give the decoder not read error message, though this can happen if the wheels or track are dirty.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote:... is there a quick, easy and safe way to determine if a loco has a DCC chip installed without damaging components in it and your DCC system?...
Put it on the DCC system programme track, and read the address. That won't damage anything whether there's a decoder fitted or not, as the system only puts out brief low current signals to transmit and receive from a decoder if present, otherwise there is no power on the rails. If there is a decoder installed and you want to change to an address that makes sense to you, that can then conveniently be done immediately.
centenary wrote:... Might seem a strange question as you'd expect the seller to know, (if a loco has a DCC chip installed) wouldnt you? ...
My experience, quite a few s/h purchases have turned up over the last ten years with a decoder fitted, which wasn't advertised. The two that turned out to have a decoder that I most recall of these, were sold as non-runners, and both proved to be because of simple mistakes in decoder installation.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Thanks both.

I just bought a 2nd hand Hall, weathered, pristine condition good runner from Hattons and the advert said it was also 'digitally fitted.' But, they were selling it for a little less than similar non weathered non DCC fitted same named Hall.

I think the advert might be in error given the price so will only find out if it is digitally fitted once it arrives!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Well, 1. place it on the tracks. 2. if it runs it is DC. 3. If it doesn't run it is probably DCC. :)
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote:...I just bought a 2nd hand Hall, weathered, pristine condition good runner from Hattons and the advert said it was also 'digitally fitted.' But, they were selling it for a little less than similar non weathered non DCC fitted same named Hall.

I think the advert might be in error given the price so will only find out if it is digitally fitted once it arrives!
Likely to be as advertised in my experience of Hattons. (Their 'no quibble' policy over returns for 'not as advertised' which really performs, no nonsense, on the very rare occasion I have needed it drives the business toward getting their descriptions right.)

Pricing on s/h; I should think there will be some software involved in setting that, for factors such as current new price (or estimate) for that particular model, originality, identified damage, working, feature set, s/h stock levels, cashflow, and of course the only one that truly matters, THE BOX.

This is truly wonderful for buyers like myself, very good prices pop up every now and again, especially when the ultimate yukky shame of 'replacement box' is present. :D
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Chops wrote:Well, 1. place it on the tracks. 2. if it runs it is DC. 3. If it doesn't run it is probably DCC. :)
Yes, but I get it when people are concerned they might blow something up.