LGB Garden Railways

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Richard08

LGB Garden Railways

Post by Richard08 »

If I were to build a garden railway, LGB (et al) would be the way I would go. This is easily the best outdoor railway I've seen to date, especially noticeable are the points, which are not standard LGB type things - quite incredible. Unfortunately - a Krokodil costs a mere £3,500! [Buys lottery ticket]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8uU3S37BUk
Mountain

Re: LGB Garden Railways

Post by Mountain »

LGB is pretty sturdy and hard wearing stuff. I have had thoughts on the bonusses of G scale compared with SM32 for years, and after having cleaned a large garden railway system a few times which takes a day and a half to clean each time, I would say that overall I personally would prefer SM32, but both are nice.
Something I will say in regards to G scale (And LGB) is that I have been rather impressed and taken back how well those locomotives pick up their current from the track. Track so tarnished that no smaller scale locos would be able to run on, and yet I saw a G scale loco run on it as if the track was new! I am not satisfied when track cleaning unless the tops of the rails are nice and shiny which would be needed if running 00, but G scale (And SM32) just seems to not need such clean track to run.
Having said that, the amount of time it took of cleaning, I did say to the owner after I finished and was on my last legs "You need radio control!" :D

Larger scales need not be too expensive either. Elaines Trains happens to have a bargain SM32 shunter for sale at the moment, and also occasionally gets G scale locos and rolling stock to sell, so it is a case of being patient and when one sees what one wants being quick to buy it. Secondhand, I have seen G scale locos at well under £100 with life left in them to run another day!
So either way, one need not look to new prices. Just have patience and do research and one can end up with something rather nice!
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Mountain wrote: Something I will say in regards to G scale (And LGB) is that I have been rather impressed and taken back how well those locomotives pick up their current from the track.
LGB have shoes that do the picking up from the rail, quite large and presumably sprung. Seems to work extremely well.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Yes. They do work well, but some G scale locos (Bachmann?) do not have this, but they still run well regardless. I think it is the weight and the large wheel tread thickness that makes the difference.

For me, a few small aspects make me slightly prefer SM32. The SM32 track is cheaper. One can (In theory) use 0 gauge mechanisms and track to scratchbuild things while G will need gauge 1 which is not as common to find. Tried to run a gentlemans gauge 1 loco on the G scale garden railway but it did not want to run and it looked quite complex inside (And outside as it was highly detailed electric powered delicate French Aster steam loco which probably cost more than my entire collection) and I dare not fiddle not knowing a lot about them. Sadly its owner passed away a year later. The loco gauge was right though which I was glad as I heard "In theory" but without trying to place the loco on the track it would still be a theory.
Another aspect (Though in reality is not specific to one gauge or the other) is that SM 32 locos and stock in general seem more metalic and less plasticky which is a winner for me, BUT both plastic and metal is available in both scales. Just that plastic is far more common in G. I also prefer the common SM32 manual central buffer coupling method that a lot of SM32 uses. Not that keen on upturned central lock couplings which can be a little hit and miss as just like in 00, not everything can have a hook and one can get the odd item whose loop is at a slightly different height.

Of course, one can easily make (If one is up to it) a dual gauge garden railway with both 32 and 45mm gauuges so one can run everything that comes ones way in gauges 0, 1, SM32 and G?

Overall, whichever scale one prefers, and G is by nature larger than SM32, the only real aspect which prevents running is the wind, so I suggest if one can do it, to build a line sheltered from the wind, BUT at a suitable height to aid track cleaning, and ALWAYS provide easy access walking or stepping routes to clean the track, as some people garden railways require one to balance twisting all shapes to get at their track over large wooden viaducts which span over ponds,, or through tunnels!
Another planning hint is do not design a railway where trains head downhill towards a curved viaduct which crosses a high valley or similar because what can (And probably will) happen is someone else will want a go and not realize that the speed they are driving is too fast for the bend and lovely detailed G scale plastic locos and rolling stock do not survive a few feet of drop onto rocks. So try to design any feature so that the trains may have to go slightly up towards it so excessive speed is reduced.

But all in all, I am very impressed with both G scale and SM32, as both are very nice! Very tempted! Just I think I will keep to 0-16.5... I wonder if I will end up in the garden with 7mm narrow gauge? :D