please help 32-977 Bachmann Class 66/9 Stobart 66411

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Mark19

please help 32-977 Bachmann Class 66/9 Stobart 66411

Post by Mark19 »

Hi I have acquired the above train and as the track is now down I have just started to test it as it was sold as a good runner but I am having big problems as it will not stay on the track due to the Boggies sticking/locking and not turning on the bends it driving me mad, I have read about the NEM socket fix but this has already been done I would be very grateful for any help in getting this train to run better as its a great loco with loksound already fitted.

Thanks in advance
Bigmet

Re: please help 32-977 Bachmann Class 66/9 Stobart 66411

Post by Bigmet »

Some basic stuff to check to help understand where the problems might be.

Firstly, are you using a radius smaller than UK set track second radius? (Currently sold Hornby, Bachmann and Peco set track, all the same second radius dimension as the smallest curve available. There are smaller radii in earlier track systems from Triang, Hornby, Lima and others.)

Secondly, 'The NEM socket fix', I guess by this you mean that the NEM type coupler pockets have been adjusted by a previous owner so that they will not foul? That doesn't mean that all types of couplers inserted in those pockets won't foul on bufferbeam detail. If couplers have been fitted, can you see them fouling on detail as the bogies turn? Does the loco stay on track if the couplers are removed from the pockets?
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Hi Thanks for getting back to me I am using 2nd and third radius Curves (R609 and R607) and the NEM Socket fix has been done at one end and I don't have any couplers on the train at the moment.

I have also tried loosening screws off, Ran without the cover off, I have lubricated the parts that is said you should.

As a last resort yesterday I very carefully ran the train without one of the bogie cages of (probably shouldn't do This) but the boggie with no cage ran really well and this boggie was the one that already had the HEM fix applied

so I am really at a lose to see what I can do

Thanks
End2end

Post by End2end »

Honestly, save all your frustrations and send it back if you can.
The only other thing I can add is check the back to backs.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mark19 wrote:...As a last resort yesterday I very carefully ran the train without one of the bogie cages of (probably shouldn't do This) but the bogie with no cage ran really well and this bogie was the one that already had the HEM fix applied...
Now there's a clue. The previous owner may have had the exterior bogie frame(s) off to modify the NEM coupler pocket.

If both bogie frames have been taken off and swapped over there's trouble as they are not identical: this is immediately noticeable because the cab steps will not align to the cab doors, and components at one inside end will foul on the underframe tanks.

If the bogie frame was replaced in the correct location, but not fully 'home' the distortion of the inside of the frame may have led to fouling.

Good luck with it.
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

Some Bachmann class 66 locos are notoriously for derailing. I think there was a casting or moulding fault on some of them causing the bogies to not fit or sit perfectly. I seem to recall it being discussed elsewhere probably on the on the RMWEB forum with fixes suggested and carried out some years ago.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

mossdp wrote:Some Bachmann class 66 locos are notoriously for derailing. I think there was a casting or moulding fault on some of them causing the bogies to not fit or sit perfectly. I seem to recall it being discussed elsewhere probably on the on the RMWEB forum with fixes suggested and carried out some years ago.
Certainly was, but I think on an earlier version of RMWeb, now deleted. My class 66, on which I could see that the centre wheelsets were below the plane of the end wheelsets, and the cause was the tight fit of the wheel bearings in the plastic gear towers, the centre wheelset bearings causing the frame to form a slight curve. Reaming out the centre bearing locations so that the bearings were an easy fit enabled the frame to lie straight and the rocking of the bogies on the centre wheelsets was remedied.

Now I don't think this can be the trouble on this example, as the removal of the cosmetic bogie frame made it perform correctly. A generic problem on twin bogie traction, the cosmetic bogie frame not correctly positioned, seen several such on s/h purchases, my own and those of friends.

Now, my own example of class 66 was bought from the model shop that once existed on Okehampton station platform. The man running the shop one day I visited was swearing colourfully when I entered. He was unpacking a returned mail order Bach 66, which was in pieces in front of him, the reported fault that it had 'fallen apart'. Presumably the house poltergeist was very adept with small crosshead screwdrivers. Anyhoo, he was open to a good offer, and I had the fun of screwing it all together and with the tight bearing problem eliminated it has run well from that day to this. Never underestimate the daftness of a sector of the model railway purchasing public...
Monday

Post by Monday »

I had similar de-railing problems with a Bachmann 66 that I bought new. It seemed that the leading bogie wouldn’t swivel properly when the weight of the body was on it. I was reluctant to fiddle too much because if the cardan shaft drive so sent it back to Bachmann who fixed it. OK now.
robinrick57

Post by robinrick57 »

I thought I had avoided the 66 derailing issue but today I received a used one which exhibited the 'bogie with restricted movement' problem. Interestingly the loco didn't derail but the first (4 wheel) wagon did. After fiddling with the couplings a little I got no improvement. Then I tried a heavier train with 8 wheel bogie wagons. No problems. I surmise the heavier train helped the loco bogie straighten out after a curve better than a lighter train. And yes I know It should work with any train but hey....I'll take it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

robinrick57 wrote:... I surmise the heavier train helped the loco bogie straighten out after a curve better than a lighter train. And yes I know It should work with any train but hey....I'll take it.
You are on the right track. The heavier train is applying more load to the coupler on the loco, and thus whatever the coupler is mounted on, and may be flexing it enough to relieve or reduce some fouling. Check the coupler and NEM coupler pocket for any sign of where it might be contacting fixed structure for a start.