Still Don't Do Steam, But...

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

Still Don't Do Steam, But...

Post by Richard08 »

Well the Sentinel had to go back, probably to the great siding in the sky, so something else needed to be found - within budget, which rules out an 03 by a mile... This came up surprisingly cheap and DCC fitted, I kind of won it by accident really. The glowing fire box works so all is well, and despite coming loose from the 'frame' that holds it in the packaging (that horrible rattling sound from the parcel...) it's all intact bar one step (said step, a mounting screw and the DC board being the source of the rattling. It doesn't run quite as nicely as the Dapol 08, but I'm hoping some CV settings may help there. The weird thing about it is that wheels are so good, they've got a really nice 'newly machined and still oily' look. Nice model. I'm intending weathering it a bit, but then....
DSC01311.resized.JPG
Chops

Re: Still Don't Do Steam, But...

Post by Chops »

That is charming. I will be curious if the DCC can take its awkward running.
Nessie rocks!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Richard08,
"I don't do steam" - YET. For someone who likes wagons
I'm expecting a slight drift !!

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote:Richard08,
"I don't do steam" - YET. For someone who likes wagons
I'm expecting a slight drift !!

Geoff T.
'Tis but a minor aberration, much as I like the 14xx I would much rather it be an 03 - it's the £200 price difference and a spot of necessity that causes it to be here.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Seems like an opportunity here. In this day and age, when everyone loves to see the old steam engines, why hasn't someone put a diesel engine into an old steam loco? A little tank engine would be perfect. Does this solve the dilemma?
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

captrees wrote:Seems like an opportunity here. In this day and age, when everyone loves to see the old steam engines, why hasn't someone put a diesel engine into an old steam loco? A little tank engine would be perfect. Does this solve the dilemma?
I like it! So the story is now that BR did indeed stick a diesel engine in a 14xx as an experiment for unfathomable reasons (it was about the time they got their UFO patent) and somehow it ended up at Soddingham to take over from the horse used to shunt the goods shed and coal siding :-) Excellent. Just need a diesel sound chip ;-)

Or... battery electric, no sound chip needed :-) Very forward, in a backward kind of way, thinking they are at Soddingham.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The prototype of the English Electric 0-6-0 Diesel Electric shunter, forerunner of the class 08/09 was indeed built in the frames of an 0-6-0 steam shunter. It had a jackshaft and rod drive to avoid having to pull a wheel of the drive axle. And the fitters at Bescot Shed didn't have a printable word to say for it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions