Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST in OO

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST in OO

Post by Bigmet »

Clearly Dapol feel there's room for another tiddler!
https://www.dapol.co.uk/New-OO-Gauge-Ha ... -Announced
'Something for everyone' selection among the livery choices, which should help their chances.
Bufferstop

Re: Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST in OO

Post by Bufferstop »

People obviously like little 0-4-0s, since the Hornby Peckett was spotted on their demonstration layout it has to have been the fastest growing sector of types available. No longer are we stuck with yet another body on the same old chassis.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I recently bought one of their B4 0-4-0 tanks and fitted a Zimo decoder plus a Lais stay alive. A really sweet runner with it's skew wound motor. I'd expect this one to be just as good.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:People obviously like little 0-4-0s, since the Hornby Peckett was spotted on their demonstration layout it has to have been the fastest growing sector of types available...
And not just little 0-4-0T's but the next size up, small 0-6-0T's. Dapol's (now somewhat tarnished) ex-designer had proposed a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T in his own now non-existent range, which of course came to naught: but I see elsewhere some suggesting that Dapol should definitelytake a look at that as a future opportunity.
SRman

Post by SRman »

I welcome the addition of this model from Dapol, and the initial price seems quite reasonable as well.

I have already been dabbling with more variations on the industrial theme, with some rather nice 3D printed bodies from Hardy's Hobbies, designed to fit existing RTR chassis from Hornby and Electrotren (which is Hornby anyway!).

I have done a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST using the Hornby Peckett W4 chassis, and a generic Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T using the cheap and cheerful Electrotren chassis. I'm still putting finishing touches to them, but just for fun, here area couple of photos to show them as they are at present.

As I said, I like the idea of another RTR industrial, and of course, the manufacturers can do a much better job of painting and lining the models than I can. I like the idea of a RTR Hudsewell Clarke, as mentioned by someone earlier, but in the meantime, I have one variant almost ready to go on the layout.

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

SRman wrote:...I have done a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST using the Hornby Peckett W4 chassis, and a generic Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T using the cheap and cheerful Electrotren chassis...
And I only noticed yesterday that 'Corbs' of the Railway Mania podcasts, has been working with a partner on a range of 3D printed industrial bodies suitable for the current crop of small mechanisms. Guess what? I picked up one of the Electrotren 0-6-0T a few years back with a project like yours in mind, delighted with its running performance, but the project - along with much else - has stalled due to some pressing 'matters arising'.

But it's still on the to-do list for a very petite outside cylinder 0-6-0T Industrial, and the choice of bodies looks to be expanding very favourably. Your open cab Manning Wardle is the sort of thing; for me something very elderly and in rather ramshackle condition, BUT STILL WORKING! cries its proud driver.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

As a test of the small 0-6-0t I fitted a Nellie body on the Electrotren chassis, only spoiler is the Lord of the Isles dome that had been fitted to .Nellie. The original dome is presumably still there underneath, but I'm reluctant to pull off the monstrosity for fear of wrecking the boiler. The smaller drivers do give it the look of a small industrial loco. I'm trying toying with a cut and shut job with the GWR cab and one of the 0-4--0 saddle tanks.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Bufferstop wrote:As a test of the small 0-6-0t I fitted a Nellie body on the Electrotren chassis, only spoiler is the Lord of the Isles dome that had been fitted to .Nellie. The original dome is presumably still there underneath, but I'm reluctant to pull off the monstrosity for fear of wrecking the boiler. The smaller drivers do give it the look of a small industrial loco. I'm trying toying with a cut and shut job with the GWR cab and one of the 0-4--0 saddle tanks.
I did remove the dome from one of my Nellies No 25550 when I repainted it many years ago. This one did not have the original smaller dome underneath, just a very roughly finished bit of boiler where the smaller dome would have been. I guess they just jammed something in the mould with a pin sticking out to leave a hole in the boiler for the spigot in the centre of the Lord of the Isles dome. I was always planning to put the dome back on after repainting it BNR blue (the BNR's first loco) so it didn't worry me.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854