Revised class 86

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
centenary

Revised class 86

Post by centenary »

Heljan's 'fully updated' class 86 looks a nice machine, especially in Intercity or blue and white roofed version. Not sure on paying the 100 quid extra for a sound chip in an electric loco though. Yes, they weren't silent but if I got one of these, Id be inclined to just stick a DCC chip in it and let the noise of it running around be it's 'sound.'

Shame SWMBO prefers kettles!
Bigmet

Re: Revised class 86

Post by Bigmet »

They must have been on sale about three weeks now, and the reception has been consistently good when I have looked. There's occasional niggles of 'the Freightclonker orange stripe is definitely too wide by a scale quarter inch' type, but little of serious concern. As ever with Heljan wide body loco mechanisms, no doubts about the running performance, quiet, smooth andplentiful traction.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Getting the right sound for a model isn't straightforward, it has to be believable when looking at the model. For me the sound of an 86 is all of those blowers blasting air through its motors as it starts to move. I don't think you can miniaturise that. I've stood at the end of platform one at New Street, it rattles your ribcage, then the hot air hits you. I think I'd settle for the noise of its motor and transmission and let my memory do the rest.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

centenary wrote:Heljan's 'fully updated' class 86 looks a nice machine, especially in Intercity or blue and white roofed version. Not sure on paying the 100 quid extra for a sound chip in an electric loco though. Yes, they weren't silent but if I got one of these, Id be inclined to just stick a DCC chip in it and let the noise of it running around be it's 'sound.'

Shame SWMBO prefers kettles!
I’ve done exactly that with my OHLE Locos, although only have the original Heljan 86 and an Olivia’s 76, I am happy to believe the motor mechanism and geartrain noise is real and only miss the horns really.

As an aside the original Heljan 86 is a pig for clearance above the 8 pin socket even for wire! But it runs as sweet as a nut.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.