Hi from a Mancunian in France.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
LesW

Hi from a Mancunian in France.

Post by LesW »

Hi to all.

My name is Les and I currently live in the Mayenne. I'm an ex railway man having been a driver at Man Piccadilly, Crewe and finally Reading.

I joined the forum as I am about to rekindle my love of model railways which started in the mid 50's.
I've already had a large layout when I lived in Cheshire, but now I live in France I have to start again. Fortunately, after moving house, I have a spare upper floor area of around 37' x 15'. I will build a quad oval with the usual sidings, sheds, etc in OO gauge using all of my original stock which is LMS and early BR steam. The only exeption is a model of the Flying Scotsman and that's only because I once drove it on Trafford Park sheds.

I'm bound to need some help as DCC didn't exist when I had my last layout and it's all new to me.

Can't wait to get started. :P
glencairn

Re: Hi from a Mancunian in France.

Post by glencairn »

Hi LesW. Welcome on board. I cannot help you with DCC as I know far less than you do. :)
There are others here who do know though. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

OMG Les,

37 x 15 !!!!!!
That will cost a small fortune. Once I would have been envious, but I've been there
and had a large layout.

Geoff T.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Lovely, though that is a lot of track to keep clean!

Welcome to this site.

DCC does need a bit of learning but it will come. Is more reading up manuals and asking for advice when needed which is what sites like this are for! :D
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

LesW wrote:... I have a spare upper floor area of around 37' x 15'. I will build a quad oval with the usual sidings, sheds, etc in OO gauge ...
Enough area to make a 'walk in' layout, so there is no need to 'duck under' the baseboard, or have a lifting section for access.
LesW

Post by LesW »

Thanks chaps.

Yes, a large layout indeed. It will be a larger version of my last one which was 20' x 10' garage. I will have it running around the perimeter and will build a lift out bridge for access from the entrance door, I did the same previously at the garage entrance and it worked really well.

Fortunately I still have loads of Peco points plus all of my loco's and rolling stock, so the main expense will be flexitrack and the DCC conrol system.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi LesW. Welcome on board. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
GoldenOldie

Post by GoldenOldie »

Bonjour Les,

Wishing you well with your layout, there's certainly some very friendly and knowledgable folk on this forum who can help you. I've called on their advice a few times already with my micro layout and it's been so helpful.

As someone who 'missed the boat' escaping to France before madness set in I envy you 'chez tu en France', especially in the Mayenne which is a beautiful place to live. What's more, all that room for your layout! I really look forward to seeing your progress if you're happy to post about it.

All the best,

Simon